Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In the market for a new Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    I bought my first laptop - middle of last year - after much research I went with an Alienware M17 R2, i9 2TB SSD, 16G ram Nvidia RTX 2080 - fortunate enough to have the budget. No regrets, love it, on advice of some other folks I know, I went with a service contract, although I'm usually very skeptical of those sorts of things...we'll see. Easily runs all routes in OR, and is a well designed machine, Win10 is taking some time getting used to,..but that's to be expected with a new OS. I'm impressed by the quality of the display and the keyboard.
    OK Gerry,I'll check it out. Thanks Brian

My 2014 model is an Alienware 14, i7 @ 2.4Ghz with 16Gb and the GTX 765M GPU. I upgraded to a 1Tb drive which might be on the small side to some folks, but I didn't want to exceed my Dropbox capacity for backups. Even there, I've got over 100Gb free on my content drive, and 50Gb free on my system drive.
    Last edited by eolesen; 04-27-2021 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    My 2014 model is an Alienware 14, i7 @ 2.4Ghz with 16Gb and the GTX 765M GPU. I upgraded to a 1Tb drive which might be on the small side to some folks, but I didn't want to exceed my Dropbox capacity for backups. Even there, I've got over 100Gb free on my content drive, and 50Gb free on my system drive.
    Thanks again Eric,I just might consider doing what you have done considering I have the same model.Brian

Good luck. I had already replaced my HDD once in 2016 and bought an Apricorn USB3.0 to SATA kit with a cable and software. That style cable is a must for anyone changing drives... there are now cheaper cables available, so your mileage may vary...

When I did my SSD upgrade, I skipped the Apricorn software and used Acronis True Image to clone the HDD -> SSD. Pretty seamless process but it does take a while.

After cloning and swapping out the drives on the Alien, I booted up and was able to use Win10's built-in disk management to expand the cloned partitions into the unused space and make them slightly larger than they'd been on the old drive.

Nice thing about cloning a still-good drive vs. having to do a backup and restore on a failed drive is that you don't have to worry about skipping something, and if the upgrade goes bad, you still have the HDD and can re-install it if needed.

Another option for cloning your drive is Minitool Shadowmaker.
    I cloned my son's 1TB SSD to a 2TB M.2 last week and it only took 20 minutes. Both drives were internal so it went quick, it usually takes a bit longer.
    Anyway it's free and I've used it maybe ten times in the last several years without any issues.