Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CPU/GPU Availability

Geez, I almost deleted this thread as spam based on the title....

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Geez, I almost deleted this thread as spam based on the title....
    Feel free to change the header to something more meaningful.

I think it was important to highlight the problem though as many train simmers, particularly those of us of the older generation (!) may not be aware of this or the issues it is causing getting hold of hardware to run our sims. I know we have Open Rails as an alternative but imagine if your Nvidia card blew up and the only replacement you could (eventually) get is an AMD Radeon or similar. No more running MSTS...

As Bruce intimated this also means even if you replace your PC, might be prudent to hang onto the old one rather than sell or break into parts/scrap. Same with components. Never know when they might come in handy - in fact if it hadn't been for Covid restricting access to the local waste disposal site that GTX1050 would already have been under landfill, or whatever they do with old electronics. Now, if/when my replacement 1650 arrives, the 1050 will be going back in the box and kept just in case.
    Vern.

Post-pandemic, it would appear that chip shortages or container shipping backlogs (the same thing idling auto assembly plants) are more responsible for empty GPU shelves than the usual demand from crypto miners and gamers. Things were bad enough on the bogus inflated demand side, but now they are adding a crippled supply chain element.

Good news (?) is the card has now been tested by the vendor and confirmed faulty with no output. Waiting to see what they come up with as a replacement. Hey maybe a nice RTX level card, though that would probably melt my PSU.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    This stuff is way over my head..... my brain hurts just trying to comprehend how something that is nothing can be something that is valuable.

Beyond me, and I worked in the PC industry for a decade back in the mid-90s.
    This has been true for a long time, ever since 100 years ago or so most countries went off the gold standard and agreed that a bit of paper with some pretty printing on it was worth something. Now most of the time we don't even use paper money anymore, just agree that bytes on a computer in a bank that get moved around mean something, This is just the next logical step, cutting the central governments out of the equation. Personally I'm too old to and set in my ways get involved with this stuff. And I'm glad I upgraded my computer before all this started.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    This has been true for a long time, ever since 100 years ago or so most countries went off the gold standard and agreed that a bit of paper with some pretty printing on it was worth something. Now most of the time we don't even use paper money anymore, just agree that bytes on a computer in a bank that get moved around mean something, This is just the next logical step, cutting the central governments out of the equation. Personally I'm too old to and set in my ways get involved with this stuff. And I'm glad I upgraded my computer before all this started.

Jon
    The difference, really, is that governments have tax departments and military to collect money or other things from people, and force them to use the government's money, should it all fall down. So their money is backed by something: the power of the government, if not something that is valuable because it's heavy and shiny. The various cryptocurrencies have no guarantee of value of any sort.

Ultimately, the value of money is in what you can buy with it. You can buy things with dollars. Because it's government-backed, regular money has some fundamental and agreed-upon value, and ordinarily that value changes relatively slowly (Weimars and Zambias notwithstanding). Crypto doesn't have that, with rare exceptions (does Elon take Dogecoin for Teslas yet?). And the value changes so much and so quickly that you probably never will be able to buy much with it - basically, if you buy a Tesla with it, somebody (you or the seller) is going to have to immediately (within nanoseconds to avoid huge "value" changes) convert it to real money to pay the company's bills.

Best line I saw, I think in Reuters someplace, was some financial guru saying: "I'll consider Bitcoin (as a generic term for cryptocurrency) to be real money when I can pay my taxes with it."
    Last edited by mikeebb; 05-08-2021 at 05:34 PM. Reason: no idea how some of these typos happen...