Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU/GPU Availability

Default CPU/GPU Availability

Following on from my comments about the impossibility of obtaining a new GPU at present, due to the additional processing power being preferred by “crypto miners”, I am still struggling to understand what this is all about. I’ve taken a look at Wikipedia and a couple of other articles but looking for a plain English explanation of, 1. How people are using PC’s to make money out of nothing (surely otherwise it is theft, as everything belongs to somebody) and not paying tax on it and, 2. How a powerful GPU assists in the process.

It is relevant to our hobby as GPU’s do fail as I found yesterday and if you can’t get either a replacement or have to take an inferior brand or lesser card as a substitute, your PC becomes an £800/$1200 hunk of junk.
    Vern.

Hi Vern,

Bitcoin is based on blockchain, blockchain is an authentication system. This is where the power goes.
    A GPU produces much more output than a CPU due to it being RISC architecture ( reduced instruction set ), CPU are CISC architecture ( Complex instruction set ). Due to the difference in architecture, RISC can run MUCH faster.
    Enough for one sitting......
    Cheers
    Derek

Thanks Derek. So how do people make "real" money out of it?
    Vern.

By buying stuff with bitcoin or selling bitcoin.
    Cheers
    Derek

How do people make "real money" out of it? The crooks use cryptocurrency to launder money and blackmail victims with ransomware. Enabled and empowered by Bitcoin. That's one evil way people use it to make "real" money.

Custom ASIC chips for a long time were the preferred crypto processor technology, but the pandemic has made them hard to get, hence the run on gpu cards and the resulting video card shortages, with sub-$500 cards selling out quickly for thousands of dollars on Ebay and such. Gamers and DIY pc builders lament.

One good thing to come out of this is Intel announcing their entry into video card manufacturing. Though I'm sure my fellow geezers will say "Intel video, heap no good", but that's an outdated response. Intel's onboard video has improved, is NOT the same as it was when we were running Windows 98 all those years ago. I, for one, am eager to see what kind of higher performance video cards Intel may be able to build, give AMD and NVidea at least some kind of competition. We'll see ... unless the crypto miners buy them all up, too!
    Last edited by ftldave; 04-27-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

That's what I feared actually Dave, the only circumstances I have heard of Bitcoin is as a means of swindling people out of money to unlock their PC's after a ransomware attack.

And I'm certainly thinking for any future PC build I get done, definitely worth having a motherboard with a built in graphics processor as a backup against a GPU failure.
    Vern.

Before the pandemic when this was a 'thing' earlier, didn't GPU manufacturers limit sales quantities to one? Most of the crypto miners need a farm of these things, but limiting purchases to one made farming a bit more difficult and gave the gamers a shot at access, altho at a bit higher prices.

This stuff is way over my head..... my brain hurts just trying to comprehend how something that is nothing can be something that is valuable.

Beyond me, and I worked in the PC industry for a decade back in the mid-90s.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Same here Bruce, I posted on a hardware forum (Overclockers UK) asking why it was impossible to source a new graphics card and was greeted with all these responses about crypto mining. My first thought was, what the hell has that got to do with running the display to your monitor?! Obviously I am now a little wiser.
    The faulty card should be back with the vendor today so I’m now waiting to hear what, if anything, they will offer as a replacement. Just hope my GTX1050 keeps working.
    In the meantime, maybe I should track down a secondhand Amiga 1200! Back to where it all started - actually in my case it was an A600. Didn’t have any of this nonsense then.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .....In the meantime, maybe I should track down a secondhand Amiga 1200! Back to where it all started - actually in my case it was an A600. Didn’t have any of this nonsense then.
    C64, Amiga 500, PC 386DX......my progression.

Get yourself a Windows 95 machine, Vern.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0