Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Missing train consist?

Question One Missing train consist?

I have been looking for the file of DASH 9-44CW 101CW U-FYNFTE2 LD 4HLP. I search all over but not find one like this but have another name similar to this with DASH 9-44CW 101CW U-FYNFTE2 LD. Anyone know where is the first file that I need to run the activity -- Holiday Rush Stack Train. By the way the route is MRL Mullan Pass.

Thank you,

John

John, somehow you've gotten the name of the consist wrong, or changed it. That consist does not exist in my setup and using MSTS-ActMan it checks okay.
    Please see screenshots.

bandicam 2021-04-29 18-33-09-347.jpg bandicam 2021-04-29 18-34-29-044.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I noticed that DASH 9-44CW 101CW U-FYNFTE2 LD is the first 30 characters in the longer filename DASH 9-44CW 101CW U-FYNFTE2 LD 4HLP

Did you run all the consists through some MSTS grade checker utility that trimmed the name to 30 characters without you noticing?

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I noticed that DASH 9-44CW 101CW U-FYNFTE2 LD is the first 30 characters in the longer filename DASH 9-44CW 101CW U-FYNFTE2 LD 4HLP

Did you run all the consists through some MSTS grade checker utility that trimmed the name to 30 characters without you noticing?
    Since John is a user of ConBuilder, I suspect he has opened the CON with ConBuilder's consist editor and saved it thus truncating the file name. Another needed mod that has not been implemented for OR.
    Charles

Charles -- you are correct about a user of Conbuilder. I did not touch anything with the file that is missing but is showing in Consists folder. That puzzled me because when I launched the OpenRails MG simulator and chose the route and activity and showing missing train consist in that activity. That's strange. Should I add the log file of OpenRails MG so you can see what is the actual problem with this train consist. I did look at log file and not sure what is the error?

Thank you again,

John

Quote Originally Posted by cn bala View Post
    Charles -- you are correct about a user of Conbuilder. I did not touch anything with the file that is missing but is showing in Consists folder. That puzzled me because when I launched the OpenRails MG simulator and chose the route and activity and showing missing train consist in that activity. That's strange. Should I add the log file of OpenRails MG so you can see what is the actual problem with this train consist. I did look at log file and not sure what is the error?

Thank you again,

John
    Any time you are reporting an error that you became aware of by running OR you should post the log file from that run. May have to ZIP it up to post.
    Charles

You are right, Charles and here is my zip file of OR log file attached to my message.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cn bala View Post
    You are right, Charles and here is my zip file of OR log file attached to my message.

John
    Well, John, the Log does tell us something. It tells us that the missing file is 'J:\TrainSimulations\TRAINS\CONSISTS\dash 9-44cw 101car u-fynfte2 ld 4hlp dp.CON' not 'dash 9-44cw 101car u-fynfte2 ld 4hlp.CON' You reported in the OP. NOTE the additional space and 'dp' before the .CON.

As Geepster points out 'dash 9-44cw 101car u-fynfte2 ld' is 30 characters the limit for MSTS. So most likely something has truncated the filename to 30 characters. I do not have that route, but Gerry has posted a portion of his Consist folder and we can see that there is no 'dash 9-44cw 101car u-fynfte2 ld.con' file in the folder you could rename 'dash 9-44cw 101car u-fynfte2 ld.CON' to 'dash 9-44cw 101car u-fynfte2 ld 4hlp dp.CON' and thus correct your problem.

HOWEVER, have I notice in the graphic that Gerry posted there are other CON files with loooooong names. Have you checked to make sure that other CON files have not been truncated also? Might be best to just reinstall that route.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    ... Another needed mod that has not been implemented for OR.
    What mod are you referring to? OR accepts file names longer than 30 characters...are you proposing that a change be made to that? People should beware of using tools that truncate file names, if they are running the OR simulator.

To John:
    Quote Originally Posted by crstagg
    you could rename 'dash 9-44cw 101car u-fynfte2 ld.CON' to 'dash 9-44cw 101car u-fynfte2 ld 4hlp dp.CON' and thus correct your problem.
    I'm with Charles, if somehow the file name got shortened all you have to do is rename it.
    Please look at screenshot, John>>bandicam 2021-05-01 11-32-07-416.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    What mod are you referring to? OR accepts file names longer than 30 characters...are you proposing that a change be made to that? People should beware of using tools that truncate file names, if they are running the OR simulator.
    Mod to ConBuilder to make it compatible with OR. One among a number of others that I proposed.
    Charles