Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Using MSTS After Nearly 20 Years

Default First Time Using MSTS After Nearly 20 Years

A few days ago I found the MSTS CD set again after losing them almost twenty years ago! Totally forgotten I even had them. Hadn't played any train sim in that entire time.

The cardboard CD jacket and the CDs themselves are still in physically brand new condition. I actually never got around to installing when I first bought it. Got the sim installed over the weekend and running with some work. Despite the dated visuals I'm impressed with the sim considering how old it is.

Downloaded and installed the freeware Maple Leaf Tracks Dash-9 and SD60F - and now I'm really impressed.

Went to TrainSim.com to look up some community updates, and oh boy. I don't even know where to start. Lots of stuff there...

Can anyone recommend any absolute must-haves?

MSTS is a nice bit of work but definitely shows its age.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    A few days ago I found the MSTS CD set again after losing them almost twenty years ago! ... Despite the dated visuals I'm impressed with the sim considering how old it is....Can anyone recommend any absolute must-haves?
    Thanks.
    Must Haves, Yep...Open Rails...http://openrails.org/
    (keep the MSTS installation, you'll need the MSTS default routes for some of the older routes found here in the download library)

...download OR starter route here https://www.trainsimulations.net/starter
    ( buy the Mullan Route for OR plus expansions pack after you get set up and running with OR )

...Then try OR Monogame with ReShade down the road. Oh...there is a fine manual for OR...start reading that.

Note: Open Rails is backward compatible with legacy MSTS routes, equipment and files. OR is an entirely separate simulator executable and does not depend upon MSTS.exe or the MSTS-Bin addon. IF you thought MSTS still looked good, wait until you get set up with OR.

...of course...definitely your choice to stay with MSTS...you should precisely follow the install instructions found here...
    https://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/...ling_msts.html
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-04-2021 at 04:43 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

A few days ago I found the MSTS CD set again after losing them almost twenty years ago! Totally forgotten I even had them. Hadn't played any train sim in that entire time.

The cardboard CD jacket and the CDs themselves are still in physically brand new condition. I actually never got around to installing when I first bought it. Got the sim installed over the weekend and running with some work. Despite the dated visuals I'm impressed with the sim considering how old it is.

Downloaded and installed the freeware Maple Leaf Tracks Dash-9 and SD60F - and now I'm really impressed.

Went to TrainSim.com to look up some community updates, and oh boy. I don't even know where to start. Lots of stuff there...

Can anyone recommend any absolute must-haves?

MSTS is a nice bit of work but definitely shows its age.

Thanks.
    Before you go any further: If you did not see this Post https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-Windows-10-PC and Install MSTS outside of The Program Files folder, then stop now and follow those instructions or you will regret it later when the Windows Security causes problems.
    Charles

Thanks. I always create an installation directory whenever possible; I'm familiar with the issue. And MSTS is installed on a Windows 7 machine.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Must Haves, Yep...Open Rails...
    Wow, no kidding. Bookmarked. I'll look into that.

THanks!

What the others said about the location you installed the files. And about open rails.

Another must have: this consist editor (and route editor too, but that's probably not your first step): http://koniec.org/tsre5/

And let me say welcome back!

Christopher

Welcome back to the world of MSTS/Open Rails. I hoped back on almost a year ago after many years away (marriage, kids etc.) Open Rails was fairly new when I left years ago and I never dabbled in it then. My only downside was my external HD with all my MSTS files, payware and freeware crashed out. Most of my payware routes were purchased on a disc but a couple were download only from the vender. I contacted the vender with my issue and they sent a download link for me (very thankful for that). I installed MSTS on my Win10 machine then jumped right into Open Rails and I haven't looked back since. I'm so thankful for members here and the payware sites that keep pumping out great content to keep the sim alive

What others have said; Dig into Open Rails, you won't be sorry! Welcome back to MSTS/ORTS!

So I went to Open Rails and downloaded...
    Huge improvement to how MSTS runs and looks. Can check-box all the visual options plus 50km view distance and objects out to the horizon with no drop in performance. And it's amazing how much of a difference shadows make.

Then I downloaded the free BNSF Everett to Wanatchee Scenic Sub from TrainSimulations...

Wow.

Blown away. It was beyond what I expected. Everything looked gorgeous but what pulled me in was the sounds. Audio is often difficult to get right or even "acceptable" but it is obvious that whoever did the sound work certainly knew what they were doing. And I appreciate the emphasis on realism, especially on braking. It's nice that the devs at OR/TrainSims/etc don't shy away from these kinds of things. Don't care for things that are just all wrapper and no candy.

I am pleased lol.

Gonna do the wheat run from Wanatchee when I have time.

Just wondering, is there anything that models monitoring the engine's systems (battery, etc.), as well as driving the train? The buttons on the bottom of the panel monitor were teasing me.

Thanks.

I jumped back in a few years back so I know the feeling. What you'll find if you go through TrainSimulations website is that the quality and detail of equipment available has passed anything MSTS has to offer. The ability to create more detailed rolling stock and locomotives won't destroy your FPS even on a basic PC. Welcome back!!!!
    Kevin Kelleher

Just wondering, is there anything that models monitoring the engine's systems (battery, etc.), as well as driving the train? The buttons on the bottom of the panel monitor were teasing me.

Thanks.
    Nothing that refers to the cabview itself...although there are extensive HUDS (F5 and Shift+F5 to rotate through all the HUDs ) that monitor all sorts of things, excellent for troubleshooting and validating performance and data points. Just a reminder...read the manual...skim first to get the highlights...PDF so it is searchable. Enjoy, there's a lot to learn. OR is still in active code development, but the OR development team ( all volunteer ) has a plan and is responsive to users.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.