Thread: What does Hyrail add?

Default What does Hyrail add?

I went all in and bought Waycross and A-Line. I downloaded and installed the files from the Hyrail website. I just don't understand what those files bring. The two routes are combined, but is there more? I placed the dispatch windows side-by-side to show what I have. Thanks in advance.

Brings you 2 new routes in the South East Small portion of GA (Waycross), Other, a good chunk of Eastern FL, A-Line. Jump in the game, Choose either from Route panel. Lots to play / discover. Once comfy, also have several choices of MP servers geared for GA/FL region, should SP (Single Player) mode become lonely.

Hyrail developed the routes themselves. So, the Waycross and A-Line routes are "what those files bring." (You purchased two "routes" that merge together). I just obtained these about two weeks ago. For some really good video's on the S and A lines check out "Distant Signal" channel (Danny Harmon) on youtube. You will learn a lot about FL railroads and a lot of FL railroad history.

Watch out for the signals at the drawbridges! They will get you. As I understand it they do not change from red and you are supposed to walk to the bridge, inspect the alignment of the rails, and then proceed on red as they are not manned any longer. Though I could be wrong. I read some history of those bridges on the 'net and that's what I came up with.

In the sim they will clear. But you are probably right about that current rule in the prototype.

Thanks

Sean

I'm a fan of Distant Signal and saw his video on Waycross. I haven't run into any issues with signals, but thanks for the info. I'll know what to do if I don't get clearance.

I like the routes. I from the south so the region seem familiar. There are a lot of crossings. Having single track with sidings make coordinating AI trains challenging and fun. It makes me smile when two trains meet without one having to stop.

Again thanks for the information.

Yep, the A line certainly keeps your horn finger busy in certain spots. Good luck with your runs. In my first run I ran a Q train to Waycross, well, that's what I was supposed to do. instead, I ran till the end of route wanting to explore. Maybe next time I'll park it in Waycross.

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    *SNIP*

Watch out for the signals at the drawbridges! They will get you. As I understand it they do not change from red and you are supposed to walk to the bridge, inspect the alignment of the rails, and then proceed on red as they are not manned any longer. Though I could be wrong. I read some history of those bridges on the 'net and that's what I came up with.
    This is incorrect, the drawbridge signals are no different than any other absolute signal. In Run8 on the F3 dispatcher screen, they're in a separate box rather than being "on the route" but they are cleared just like any other signal. Even in real life, the stop and check only applies if the signal remains at red.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
    This is incorrect, the drawbridge signals are no different than any other absolute signal. In Run8 on the F3 dispatcher screen, they're in a separate box rather than being "on the route" but they are cleared just like any other signal. Even in real life, the stop and check only applies if the signal remains at red.
    Back when SCL had bridge tenders on site, they were required to walk the bridge prior to clearing the signals. The tenders had to ensure that the locking pins were in the proper position (thereby securing the span in the "down" position, as well as to verify that the mechanical interlocking links (yes, all of the older bridges still had mechanical interlocking during the 1980's) were properly joined. Then they could clear the signals, allowing trains through. FYI - the tenders were also required to leave their "shack" and observe the trains from a distance of 20 feet while they passed. This was after a shifted load had literally taken out the tenders shack.