Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEM Help Needed!

Default DEM Help Needed!

DEM NEEDED

Punched through the newly placed rock cut at Summit last night on my route beta...

...and I passed through the cut to see the entire world before me.... only to find that there's a gap in the DM to the south. (Resulting in a white gap off in the distance.)

You see, about 30-50 miles to the south, I could see the Poteau Mountain range (yup, the same Poteau Mountain range I see to the south when out running virtually on the on the Frisco's Mansfield Branch), but unfortunately, there was that white gap between the end of the Ozark DEM and the beginning of the Poteau Mountain DEM.

Apparently, over a decade ago when I conceived this route (12/09), I failed to connect the dots, namely:

When out in that region of the Ozarks aboard my dual sport motorcycle and I stop at one of the vista views looking south, I can see the Poteau Mountain Range way off on the horizon. Well, if I can see in reality... guess what? Yup, with MSTS you can see it in virtual.

Nope, that fact wasn't grasped by me back in the halcyon days of MSTS when DEMEX-compatible DEM flowed freely over the internet and it was a mere click away within DEMEX.

SO... I've sort of got my butt in a bind for some DEMEX compatible DEM.

CAN ANY OF YOU HELP?

Here's a map of the route showing the Distant Mountain tiles and the outline of the DEM I need:

IF any of you have the capability to download said DEM, convert to a DEMEX usable format, and send it to me, I can take it from there.

ANY assist would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You might try Dale Rickert's Siskiyou Route site. He has a DEM library and you might find what you need there.

http://www.siskurail.org/
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the input.

I see the state maps at Dale's site uses rar files. I do not recall any experience opening such. I have the following programs installed for compressed files, do you see one that will work?

* The compression utility that comes with Win7 Pro

* WinZip (old installation)

* 7-Zip (old installation)

Andre,

We have collaborated on various nefarious things before, so If I assume that the labled block is what you require,
    I should have no problem getting the required data for you. I will need your email address as I will use
    "WeTransfer" to send it to you. Finding the files (.tif format) is no problem but then they must be massaged
    through VTBuilder to create .tif files that DEMEX can digest. Also I find that it is wise to lower the distant
    mountains about 50 meters to avoid breaks between the near and distant terrain which will also make snips
    of white void.

Jerry Sullivan

Hello,

I personally use 7-zip for uncompressing .rar files, it seems to work pretty good.

I'll be sending him massaged DEM files, there are two, as a .zip file.

J. H. Sullivan

Peter:

Thanks. If I can successfully use 7-Zip with rar files, I will associate it for such files to use.

Jerry:

That would be wonderful.

I'll PM you my email.

Traditionally I lower DM's 10-15m. If I still have slivers after installing the needed DM tiles w/terrain, I will go lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Hi Steve:

Thanks for the input.

I see the state maps at Dale's site uses rar files. I do not recall any experience opening such. I have the following programs installed for compressed files, do you see one that will work?

* The compression utility that comes with Win7 Pro

* WinZip (old installation)

* 7-Zip (old installation)
    Andre,

The newer versions of Win-Zip (20 and above, latest is 25) will unzip *.rar files. 7-Zip also works (not sure about the older installations). If you want to buy the newer version of Win-zip, it's one of those things that once you get it, it keeps working. There may be some previous versions floating around on line that you could get free (although unsupported), but they will work. I also have some of the previous versions still around in my files.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Dale's site is a good place to request DEM.

Getting it from USGS is still possible, but they do make it a lot more difficult... Here's the step by step I used with an older version of National Map, but it's still mostly the same once you have the IMG files.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/562573...7695897974625/

Steve:

7-Zip handled the rar files fine!

eolosen:

Yup, that's the same stuff once you get it into .tif. HUGE patches.

Can VT Builder slice up the .tif images into smaller portions?

The Q-GIS terrain handling software can, but I'm a'feared Q-GIS is WAY over my head. I have it... but I can't get a handle on what I need to do in order to manipulate the image into .tif format, or how to slice smaller pieces off the huge chunk. Very complex software.

Anyway, Jerry to the rescue!

He downloaded a hi-res version and lo-res versions of the target area, and I was able to use the lo-res to merge the two patches into one DMX file and I now have the issue fixed.

Thanks to all that offered input, and a very special THANK YOU to Jerry.