Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSW2 Rush Hour

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    ............You try to explain that you don't play simulators intending to 'beat' or '100%' them, and they just don't understand.
    That is the most accurate explanation, in a few words, that I have seen regarding the mentality of the kiddies.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

metalangel Guest

Good example of it just today:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/27088...0709493532773/

There is no "end game" or "campaign"! That guy is at least receptive to the input, many are not. This next character felt they need to keep their interest in ATS until all of the Lower 48 states are released:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/27088...0972186782209/

There's the ones who feel like they have to own every DLC:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/27088...0955442458564/

Their attention span(s) must be extremely short. I can't imagine any of them ever watching a cricket Test Match.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

What i think about cricket and soccer is not repeatable here.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

metalangel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Their attention span(s) must be extremely short. I can't imagine any of them ever watching a cricket Test Match.
    On the contrary, I think they become singularly obsessed with one game and rack up thousands of hours. This again is what live service games want you to do, and design their gameplay loop and provide the constant dripfeed of new stuff to keep people hooked.

I can't imagine being solely dedicated to just playing one thing, constantly, not when there's so much other cool stuff to try. I also can't begin to imagine thousands of hours... my longest played game on Steam is Elite: Tedious with 371 hours, and at least 300 of those were the interminable jumping from system to system where you barely touch the controls.

EDIT: Someone said today of ATS that once you get past about level 30, the game stops offering "incentives" to keep playing. Your own enjoyment isn't enough? Is it because I never cared about high scores in the games of old that I can't understand this thinking either?
    Last edited by metalangel; 05-19-2021 at 09:04 AM.

I can't imagine being solely dedicated to just playing one thing, constantly, not when there's so much other cool stuff to try......
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

For my part, I try out new stuff but I have favourites which I go back to on a regular basis.
    Being retired, I tend to play games more often and for longer periods. I cannot stand most TV programs these days and enjoy the interaction which games offer.

It will probably horrify you to read that I have been playing Fallout 4 - in multiple configurations and with hundreds of mods - for nearly two years and have racked up over 5,000 hours.
    Why? I simply enjoy the game-play and the fact that, for me, there is no ending.

metalangel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Yeah, I understand where you're coming from.

For my part, I try out new stuff but I have favourites which I go back to on a regular basis.
    Being retired, I tend to play games more often and for longer periods. I cannot stand most TV programs these days and enjoy the interaction which games offer.

It will probably horrify you to read that I have been playing Fallout 4 - in multiple configurations and with hundreds of mods - for nearly two years and have racked up over 5,000 hours.
    Why? I simply enjoy the game-play and the fact that, for me, there is no ending.
    Nah, I'm not horrified... I probably put that amount into some games before you could track the time spent. Stunt Island, Test Drive 3, Transport Tycoon, Flight Simulator 4... all of them I plowed untold amounts of time into as a youff. I have a guy on my Steam friends list who had well over 3,000 hours in Borderlands 2 and over 2,000 in DOTA2.

I completely share your revulsion towards TV and the passiveness of the activity in general.

Now, Fallout 4, THAT horrifies me. God bless the men and women who made Nexusmods, because without that place, I wouldn't have been able to stomach the thought of even continuing with that game. I'm a charter member of the Fallout fan club going all the way back to the beginning, and was incredibly disappointed with that. Mods, though, like you say, let you make everything (almost) better.

To try and bring things back on topic, our mod experiences sort of speak to the importance of allowing this, and why the Truck Sim community is so cheerful while the TSW community is embittered...

.....God bless the men and women who made Nexusmods, ....Mods..let you make everything (almost) better. ....
    Thus my reason for enjoying it so much. No way would I still be playing the vanilla game.

If only DTG encouraged editing & modding in TSW. I think its popularity would explode.