Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Activate Windows Now

Default Activate Windows Now

Hi All, need some help here,

I'm using my old Windows 7 computer for all my drawings, imaging, and route building. The computer has been off the internet for the last year and a half and I have this laptop to do anything I need to online. If I want to share anything I've been using an external hard drive to move files between the two, no chance that this is virus related.

A month ago I accidently turned the power off part way through shutting the W 7 machine off, resulting in it not wanting to start properly the next morning. Had to take that to the computer shop to get them to get it to start and it's run fine since then.

A week ago while waking it up after a coffee, there was a quick notice in the bottle right corner that disappeared before it was clear enough to read. After lunch today it flashed again, but still not long enough to read. Twenty minutes later it came back and I grabbed a screenshot of it and it said I needed to "Activate Windows Now". I Googled this and found that people with Windows 7 have had this problem after a crash or just adding hardware, something happens in the Registry that causes Windows to go into a 30 day trial and no longer see it as Genuine. To see what would happen I restarted the computer and it did restart, but said it was not a genuine copy and some features had been disabled.

I've looked online for a solution but most include having the computer call Windows via the modem that it isn't hooked up to, or me phoning MS to get a validation key, but I've read several people saying they have called MS and as soon as MS hears it's a W 7 machine they won't help. I did find one solution that was said to be they way to get the machine back to genuine but it one got it to go into genuine for the next 3 days. Just tried a system restore to 60 days ago thinking that might correct the problem but still only have 3 days before it turns into a pumpkin.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this, I do have my product key, but haven't found anyway to reenter it without MS phone support or an internet connection.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Paul,

My old Windows 7 desktop came with a label on the side of the box with the activation code. During the lifetime of the machine I have had to use the code several times.

Fred

My nephew built my Windows 7 machine, ran fine until now. I have both the activation code and the product ID, but have no way to re-enter either unless I have the machine connected to the internet or can get someone to talk to me from MS but it's polocy to refuse helping with W 7 now.

Paul

Microsoft still offers activation by telephone. I believe the system is fully automated using a touch tone phone, At the Microsoft web site search "activate windows 7".

I googled around and found the following.

These are the instructions for you to follow:
    1. Open your Start menu and locate Control Panel. Click on it.
    2. Click on System and security. Then select System.
    3. Click “Get more features with a new edition of Windows”.
    4. Select “I already have a product key”.
    5. Then enter your product key and click on Next.

When I entered my code I don't believe I was on line.

Fred

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Get "softkey revealer".Once installed it will tell you the key/code for your computer;or you can buy a key on ebay.

Thanks fr that, I've downloaded it and will transfer it to the Windows 7 computer.

Paul :-)

Back in business, used softkey revealer to get the proper product key (the one I had written down was for a previous computer) and phoned to get the automated activation key.

Thanks for the help!

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

I am no computer expert,but I have found several useful things on "Howto geek".I think this one came from there.Always happy to help others out when I can.

In the 22 hours it took to solve this I searched Google for help. I found a few people who had the same problems and recommended using different free software to get Windows back to Genuine. Three of those that I downloaded contained viruses that Windows immediately triggered alarms. Yesterday when I went looking for the softkey revealer program one of the first hits was a winzip site, so I went there and it looked lite any winzip site I'd been on before so I downloaded it and that too turned out to be a virus! Went back to Google and the seventh or eight hit was the proper softkey revealer site. Just amazing how many people out there are disguising help with something that will cause harm!