Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Activate Windows Now

Anything related to the license keys and activation for Windows on the Internet seems to be plagued with fakes and malware, and it's been that way for a long time. To avoid it, I've always been careful to keep any copies of the keys that came with computers or Windows install disks. It can be a pain to keep track of, but it beats not having them in a pinch. Heck, I was unpacking after the recent move, and found the key code and "certificate of authenticity' for an old copy of Windows 98!

What I generally do for self-built systems, or anything that's been upgraded to a newer version of Windows, is to put a label somewhere on or inside the machine with the key code on it, just like the manufacturers used to do. But I still make a point to keep any papers with the code, and keep a file somewhere with it as well.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

My nephew built the Windows 7 machine ten years ago. He downloaded W7 from an MS site, and it was Genuine. A week after I got it my father went into the hospital for an operation and took 45 days to die. I never thought at the time to get the product code from him and when I started having trouble looked through my little stack of passwords and keys and saw what I though was the key to the Windows 7 machine, but not the right computer.

While in non-Genuine mode I started wondering what worked and what didn't. I ended up opening Route Editor and it opened fine, but when I selected the route I'm working on it hung. I ended up having to do a Ctrl+alt+delete to close it. Yesterday after getting the computer back to Genuine, I opened the route in editor and had to agree to remove all my crossing and car spawns. Turns out when the route hung and I did the Ctrl+alt+delete that deleted my RDB and then opening it, there was no roads to have car spawns or crossings on. I've restored the roads, just have tp add the car spawns and crossings and I'll have the route restored.

Paul :-)

AFAIK Windows 7 in non-activated mode works pretty much the same way as it does in activated mode, with some additional nagging here and there. I believe updates used to be affected but since Windows 7 basically doesn't receive those any more (as far as I know anyway), thats kinda a non-issue. Windows 10 also does pretty much the same thing, it just places a watermark on the screen nagging you to activate it. Everything else still works just fine.

From my experience a week ago it stopped saving most changes and stopped exporting drawings from TS Modeler to become shapes for the sim altogether. As I've been working on the route after getting W 7 back into Genuine mode, I've found that my REF file went from 85 KB to 5 KB, I don't know if that had anything to do with me testing trying to save a shape from TSM to the route or now. I also found that in the last month from the time I had the original crash to the time I had to figure out how to get W 7 back into Genuine, the three times I saved the route to an archive folder, the three did not have a RDB file, just a backup file. Worked fine before, and works fine now, so why were the three missing their RDB files.

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    From my experience a week ago it stopped saving most changes and stopped exporting drawings from TS Modeler to become shapes for the sim altogether. As I've been working on the route after getting W 7 back into Genuine mode, I've found that my REF file went from 85 KB to 5 KB, I don't know if that had anything to do with me testing trying to save a shape from TSM to the route or now. I also found that in the last month from the time I had the original crash to the time I had to figure out how to get W 7 back into Genuine, the three times I saved the route to an archive folder, the three did not have a RDB file, just a backup file. Worked fine before, and works fine now, so why were the three missing their RDB files.

Paul, If you had any of those files in the protected windows folders and/or the utility programs you use for train simulations ( route editors, consist editors, etc. ) ... that, I suspect, is the problem. I don't believe re-registering Win7 would have anything to do with those files, even losing the operating system would not affect any of those files.... as long as you had backups of all your train simulation folders. IMHO.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi Gerry,

I suspect that the back ups I made during the 30 day trail period that my computer was in were not being saved completely. I made three backups of the route as I worked on it, about a week and a half apart until the end of the 30 days was up and the system went to "active now or else" mode when nothing saved correctly. The 12 saves before that all have the RDB and full REF files.

I wasn't aware or the 30 day trial period mode I was in after the crash until it was pretty much up.

The official way seems to be:

Start
    Search for "activation" then open the Activation Tool
    If no internet, use the phone option
    Phone should be automated, and give you an activation code to enter
    If the automatic activation phone number can't give you a code, it should transfer you to a human who can
    MS doesn't officially support Win7 or XP any more, but in theory they should still be able to give you the code; be persistent

All presuming it was retail, not OEM, Win7 to start with.

Amusing side note: after a recent comprehensive hardware change involving a new motherboard and CPU, new PSU, new SSD, and new HDD (iow triggering almost all the activation red flags), I thought I was going to have to do the phone thing. It wasn't finding my machine (obviously) in their database as a legit Windows 10 computer after a clean install. On a hunch, I dug out my old Win7 (Pro) retail package that was the upgrade source for Win10, and used the license number from that. Shazaam, it worked, registered, activated, and was happy, all online. So: when you upgrade or replace any retail copy of anything from MS, NEVER THROW THE OLD ONE AWAY. You might need it again some day.

The only time I clearly recall having to do the phone reactivation thing was on my daughter's old computer. Replaced a video card, which apparently triggered it somehow. That shouldn't be a trigger, but in that case it was enough.