Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bell No Longer Rings When Blowing Horn on US Trains

Default Bell No Longer Rings When Blowing Horn on US Trains

After running TrainSim's Mac Tier sub (first time running a non-US route since recently installing MSTS and OR), the bell no longer rings when blowing the whistle while running US trains on US routes. Manual operation of the bell still works.

Issue persists after multiple restarts.

I'm new with OR so I'm at a loss on how to correct this, or knowing if I'm doing anything incorrectly.

Thanks.

Hi, Have you checked this line in the relevant eng file? DoesHornTriggerBell ( 0 ) If it reads like that then just change the (0) to (1)
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Quote Originally Posted by niknak View Post
    Hi, Have you checked this line in the relevant eng file? DoesHornTriggerBell ( 0 ) If it reads like that then just change the (0) to (1)
    Yep that was it. Found four such instances on BNSF trains.

THanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    Yep that was it. Found four such instances on BNSF trains.

THanks.
    There are quite a few tools that folks in this hobby use to make chores like this faster and easier...for example one such tool is Search and Replace >>> http://www.funduc.com/ -- there are other utilities like this, other forum members have their favorites...all are good and do the same task. They all make the replacement or changing of values and terms in any of the files quick and easy.
    A good search & replace tool will allow exclusion or inclusion of certain directories or files, using binary searches instead of single lines, and a variety of other flags to modify the search. Three examples below.
    bandicam 2021-05-10 13-01-17-269.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

FYI, in real life the horn does not always ring the bell.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    There are quite a few tools that folks in this hobby use to make chores like this faster and easier...for example one such tool is Search and Replace >>> http://www.funduc.com/ -- there are other utilities like this, other forum members have their favorites...all are good and do the same task. They all make the replacement or changing of values and terms in any of the files quick and easy.
    A good search & replace tool will allow exclusion or inclusion of certain directories or files, using binary searches instead of single lines, and a variety of other flags to modify the search. Three examples below.
    bandicam 2021-05-10 13-01-17-269.jpg
    Thanks. I've been using Notepad++ for years. Used it in this case as well.

I use Notepad++ also, I especially like the way it justifies the files to the left hand margin and then using the dotted lines to align brackets...also use ConText quite a lot for normal file work.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Thanks. I've been using Notepad++ for years. Used it in this case as well.

Sounds like you did not understand his point. Notepad++ only searches and replaces in the ONE open text file. Where as the program Search and Replace looks in ALL (or only certain type) files throughout a folder for the specified phrase and replaces all occurrences.

Example: Point Search and Replace to your Trainset folder, tell it to only look at .ENG files for the phrase "DoesHornTriggerBell ( 0 )" and replace with "DoesHornTriggerBell ( 1 )". S&R then searches Trainset folder and every subfolder, looks in 2346 files and finds 75 occurrences and then you can replace all or selective choose which you want to replace. Beats opening 2346 ENG files in Notepad++ and looking for the phrase.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Sounds like you did not understand his point. Notepad++ only searches and replaces in the ONE open text file. Where as the program Search and Replace looks in ALL (or only certain type) files throughout a folder for the specified phrase and replaces all occurrences.

Example: Point Search and Replace to your Trainset folder, tell it to only look at .ENG files for the phrase "DoesHornTriggerBell ( 0 )" and replace with "DoesHornTriggerBell ( 1 )". S&R then searches Trainset folder and every subfolder, looks in 2346 files and finds 75 occurrences and then you can replace all or selective choose which you want to replace. Beats opening 2346 ENG files in Notepad++ and looking for the phrase.

Notepad++ can search and replace text located in multiple files and in multiple subfolders. It's been capable of this since forever ago, and it's one of the reasons why it was created in the first place:

NotepadPlusPlus.jpg

As I said I've been using this utility for years, modifying hundreds, if not thousands of pages of dat files etc. for multiple applications.

Notepad++ can search and replace text located in multiple files and in multiple subfolders. It's been capable of this since forever ago, and it's one of the reasons why it was created in the first place:

NotepadPlusPlus.jpg

As I said I've been using this utility for years, modifying hundreds, if not thousands of pages of dat files etc. for multiple applications.
    Does Notepad++ have a binary search & replace mode? ( I could never figure out how ...course I didn't spend much time with it ...as Search&Rpleace has this option )
    For instance replace this section of code in engine files
    Code:
    Exhaust1
       (
        0 4.72 -3.515
        0 1 0
       )
    with this

Code:
    Exhaust1
       (
        0 4.52 -3.515
        0 1 0
       )
    would be easy with S&R. Using other optional flags increases the complexity of the operation.

But like I stated in my original reply...for simple search&replace operations most any S&R option will do, even most word doc programs have this option.
    Cheers, Gerry