Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sisksiyou ScaleRails

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    Charles, no ScaleRails in Global\textures folder, but only what looks like standard ace files (bluediamond through yardmarker, etc and a highly modified femalehiker )
    You probably installed it to an install created from your MSTS CDs. My Siskiyou install was created by adding the Global, Sound, Trains and Routes folders to a Root folder named Siskiyou. NO MSTS as this route was made for ORTS,
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
    a highly modified femalehiker )
    Oh, my. That could go in so many different directions...

My Siskiyou install was created by adding the Global, Sound, Trains, and Routes folders to a Root folder named Siskiyou. NO MSTS as this route was made for ORTS,
    Yes, Charles, it was installed into MSTS folder where all the other MSTS stuff is, so should it be installed as in the Trainsimlations folder?
    Open Rails Train Simulator -ZZ these are all on C:\ root. (OpenRails is in program files (x86)\Open Rails).

NOOOOOOO, Trainsimulations use DDS textures in their latest routes and rolling stock.

The DDS routes need to be kept together.
    All other routes can be kept in the msts route setup.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    NOOOOOOO, Trainsimulations use DDS textures in their latest routes and rolling stock.

The DDS routes need to be kept together.
    All other routes can be kept in the msts route setup.

CORRECT!!! Do NOT mix Train Simulations (TS) OR routes with other routes. The TS routes use ScaleRail and ScaleRoads shapes which make calls to DDS texture files; where as the "original" ScaleRail and ScaleRoads shapes make calls to ACE texture files.

These shape files are installed in the Global\Shapes folders but the texture files called by these shapes are located in the Route\ "RouteName"\Texture folder. Installing Shape files calling for DDS files into an install with Shape files calling for ACE files will overwrite the other. And the reverse is true also. The end result is Shape files calling for one type texture file when the other type is in the route's Texture folder. Resulting in a texture not found error.
    Last edited by crstagg; 05-14-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    Charles

on checking the textures file in the Siskiyou route, the Sr files are ace.??what gives, my Siskiyou should be the latest one

Hi John,
    That is correct The Siskiyou route uses the standard Scalerail product from 3DTrains in which .ace files are used for the textures.

As far as I am aware, ONLY Trainsimulations.net Open Rails routes use a modified version of Scalerail with .dds textures. This is why their routes MUST never be installed in the same installation as any other route, irrespective of whether it's an OR route or not.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 05-14-2021 at 03:14 PM.

Ged; then should all trainsimulations routes be in one folder?
    thank's

Hi John,
    Referring to Open Rails routes ONLY from Trainsimulations.net, strictly speaking, No, but they may all be put in one installation if that's how you want them. Note that routes from other sources, which are designated for "Open Rails only", may still use .ace textures, in which case, they should not be put into the same folder as any TSN OR route.

Cheers,
    Ged

I'm not sure that isolating TSN and ORTS only routes is a 1000% necessary hard and fast rule, folks....

Yes, the installers for TSN do load Scalerail/Scaleroad shapes into Global that call for DDS textures.

Yes, that can make it difficult when mixing with other routes that use Scalerail/Scaleroads.

No, mixing won't impact routes that use other track systems like MTracks, US USTracks, XTracks, etc. as those shapes don't get updated.

Yes, you can isolate in a separate directory if you choose.

You can also restore the original Scalerail/Scaleroads in Global Shapes from the pre-DDS installer and load Scalerail ACE textures into the Route Textures file. It's an extra two steps, but might work to avoid duplicate installations which can make a difference on consists and equipment.

I can't say I've done it, but the theory should hold up and I'll give it a shot this week. Any new ScaleRxxx shapes from 3DT would still look for DDS and the legacy ScaleRxxx shapes would now use conventional textures.

You might have some variations on switchstand styles and ballast color, but that's all negligible to me... there are lots of options in the 3DT library to pick something reasonably accurate.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk