Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sisksiyou ScaleRails

I would prefer to see a version of the ScaleXXXX packages built for life-after-MSTS available for download that come with DDS only.

I would be careful mixing TS and others for the time being because we really don't know where TS is heading in terms of next-generation file format adoption. Whatever vendor gets there first is in the unique position to establish the precedent, I guess. Late arriving vendors who don't agree? Too bad, so sad. Get off the (bleepin) stick.

Besides, the possibility of maintaining duplicate TRAINSET folders is just the way life that goes with Scalerail. Hell, there are payware Scalerail routes built in 2008 with ACE textures that cannot share the same TRAINSET folder with 2014 era Scalerail routes also equipped with ACE textures, simply because scalerail packages varied and did not maintain backward compatibility. And those were two routes just begging to share the same Trainset.

Lastly, Open Rails is beginning to 'squawk in pain' when amateur-grade tracklaying in freeware routes is encountered, which tends to pour cold water on the efforts of those less-engineering inclined who are busy making some form of freeware route. I was running a train with this rear DPU that was being overtaken by the AI in the distance, in 70 mph territory (90 mph ATS for Amtrak!), operating at 35-40 mph due to gravity that only affects my train, and open rails was squawking and popping up warnings when every car passed through this dogleg curve, telling me the safe speed was 31.9 mph or something. Now granted, this is 2004-era tracklaying, originating during the years of ATSF Seligman 1 when the tracks in that route ran all the way to Winslow even though the scenery stopped at Seligman. So this kind of faux-pas was simply common in that era. But I tend to see future route building falling into the hands of the more engineering-capable people among us. Either that, or there will be a hell of bunch of ripping out and re-laying going on (a-la Midwest Mega?)

I'm confused. You say different TRAINSET folders are needed due to differences in Scalerail edition (old ACE or newer DDS textures). I was under the impression that Scalerail and Scaleroad only affected routes (tracks and roads), not trains. Could you enlighten me? Thank you.

You're correct -- the issues are with ScaleRxxx shapes and textures... If you take the approach of creating a separate location for ORTS only routes, one of the consequences is you'll have to duplicate your TRAINSET folders as well.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    You're correct -- the issues are with ScaleRxxx shapes and textures... If you take the approach of creating a separate location for ORTS only routes, one of the consequences is you'll have to duplicate your TRAINSET folders as well.
    I get around that problem by using junctions to keep All of my rolling stock together.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...loads/junction
    https://www.addictivetips.com/window...on-windows-10/
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I personally don't find that a big deal since different sets of routes tend to have different trainsets. I don't want all this stuff mixed in together anyway. I usually don't end up with much duplication except for the common folders and the stuff everyone links to like GP38 and SCOTSMAN.

Jon