Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible for Load to Span Two Cars and Pivot Properly?

Try making the blade an individual car with a wheel at each location you want it to pivot, and make the coupling length very short in the .wag file. I did that to the centre trailers of my TTEX cars. Without the wheels, the trailer would just pivot around it's axis. With the wheels, they follow the track centre line, which made the trailer pivot on the hitch like the prototype.

It won't be perfect for your situation. The blade end won't stay in the centre of the car, due to the wheels following the track centreline. But certainly better than what it is doing now.

ttex1.jpg

ttex2.jpg

ttex3.jpg

The bogies and wheels are alpha removed. Changed the texture so they are visible. The mid trailer length is 0.29m and you might have to offset the flatcars slightly to make up for the additional length.

Search the file library for TTEX.

Have fun

Thanks much Rowie, your model gave me some inspiration for sure!

The one missing puzzle piece I was running into was the fact that the midpoint of my windmill load was not centered between two cars, making it a bit harder. After a lot of trial and error, followed at last by doing some fun algebra, I figured out how to use the r0 values in the coupler fields to piece this together (using large negative r0 values to move the "coupler" for the start and end of the windmill blade). Turns out a 5-car articulated spine set with two blades IS POSSIBLE! As you noted Rowie, the location of the common support is not absolutely perfect because it follows track centerline rather than the centerline of the car, but it is close enough for normal degrees of curvature. Still some fiddling to go, but some screenshots below! (I think using something similar to this, it may finally be possible to have 3 or 4 truck locomotives with middle trucks that follow the rails in tight curves).

Thanks one and all for suffering through this with me

Open Rails 2021-05-19 05-49-13 by Sean Kelly, on Flickr

Open Rails 2021-05-19 05-55-26 by Sean Kelly, on Flickr

Open Rails 2021-05-19 05-55-36 by Sean Kelly, on Flickr
    Last edited by PerryPlatypus; 05-19-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS
    https://www.trainsimulations.net/mullanpass

Looks like you got it sorted out Where are the blades coupled in the consist? I forgot to say adding the wheels stopped the centre trailer from shaking badly, due to the short coupled length. Like some of the EOT devices shake when the camera is focused on them.

That now looks pretty cool. Want!
    Christopher