Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cambria line

Default The Cambria line

I watched a wonderful doco on the Cambrian route last night and was disappointed to find that nothing has ever been created for TS20XX.

However, I have the original CD created for MSTS and published around 2003 by 3DTS (Vern, you had a hand in that, didn't you?) and I also have Cambrian 2, also published by 3DTS and issued several years later.
    So I installed it and loaded it up in Open Rails and even tho' it's now approaching 14 years since created it holds up pretty well.
    The Activities are still enjoyable and, using a variety of ReShade tweaks, the graphics don't look too bad....certainly acceptable.

T'would be nice to see this line done for a current format, such as TS2021.

Which begs the question - why do DTG stuff around with crud such as "Rush Hour" when they could produce a gem like the Cambrian?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I never actually got round to running the second version though I understand it was (is) quite a good extension. Terrifying to think it’s now 17 or 18 years since I worked on the original V1 with 3DTS.
    Not sure why no one has looked at this route as a commercial venture for TS or TSW. The scenery alone would make the Coast Line a huge best seller, if done well. So far as TSW is concerned they already have much of the motive power for a 70s/80s era version of the route. Sadly it seems they have a fairly narrow view of what constitutes a worthwhile project, where the UK is concerned.
    Vern.

I'm surprised you have never tried v2, Vern.

I found a DTG forum reference to the Cambrian and this is a copy of one post.....

Hello. I am working on a freeware version of the Cambrian Coast Line. And it should hopefully be out later this year.
    Class43Harrison, Mar 2, 2021
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I had hoped 3DTS would send me a complimentary copy, but they never did...

Will keep an eye on that freeware version. Did have a try myself at a Trainz version a while back but got caught up in a rage uninstall and never reattempted.
    Vern.

Cambrian Line is being done by a boy on a Facebook group, modern era though but the full monty.

He has posted a few preview vids on YT, this is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCqdF2CEhM0
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Cambrian Line is being done by a boy on a Facebook group, modern era though but the full monty....
    I wonder if it's the same bloke, Mike?
    Thanks for the link, too.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I had hoped 3DTS would send me a complimentary copy, but they never did...
    LOL! Oh well....maybe they can make it up to you with a free copy of R8v3.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    LOL! Oh well....maybe they can make it up to you with a free copy of R8v3.
    That cracked me up...

Anyhow I'm more into running the Australian routes in MSTS/OR these days, all built to a magnificent standard of finish.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I wonder if it's the same bloke, Mike?
    Thanks for the link, too.
    His name is Matthew, Bruce.

Full route Shrewsbury - Pwllheli - Aber

Looks like the Brazilian rainforest, but that's modern UK routes. With the lack of money in lineside maintenance and the tree hugger brigade.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    .....Looks like the Brazilian rainforest, but that's modern UK routes. With the lack of money in lineside maintenance and the tree hugger brigade.
    Seriously? Are the rail corridors in rural areas generally overgrown?