Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Cambria line

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Personal choice Bruce and i am a nationalist....
    Well, I'm a nationalist too.....not the flag-waving redneck type......but I can appreciate what a tourist attraction brings to a place, irrespective of how far back in time it was acquired by "overseas interests" (in our case).
    Take all the foreign ownership out of Oz and we'd be bankrupt!!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Sticks in my throat, incomers owning hospitality, tourist businesses, not to mention all the housing they buy up.

For holiday or second homes. They have the money to do so and the locals do not.

It's also wrong in my opinion for a country, to have to base it's economy so much on tourism.

Basically because there is bugger all else, buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ......It's also wrong in my opinion for a country, to have to base it's economy so much on tourism.
    Well, Mike - if you take into account just how many countries have suffered financially due to the complete lack of tourism - both external and internal - over the past year then I think you'd agree that these days tourism is essential for those nations and businesses.

This is 2021, not 1921. International travel is available for everyone - it's cheap and easy by comparison to even 50 years ago, let alone 100.
    Tourism is a worldwide thing and vital for many economies.

From your point of view (a proud and staunch Welshman) maybe you should be happy that your nation has the capability to earn tourist dollars/euros/pounds and bring in an income.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Sorry Bruce, cannot see it from that point of view.

It is tourism or nothing here, particularly in counties like Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion.

The other industry is farming. But with mechanisation, those jobs are few and far between.

With covid there hasn't even been tourism for most of the last 15 months.

It's why year in year out the youngsters move away for work.

Which leaves us with a geriatric population of incomers and retiries from England.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I can sympathize with that. Here in Eastern Maine USA the government has pretty much managed to kill off the fishing industry so tourism is about all we have left. Plus the recent influx of people buying up the last bit of unspoiled coastline in the Northeastern US that is still priced where someone not a CEO or politician can afford it.

I was in Wales back in 1971 and rode the Cambrian Coast line out to Porthmadog, stayed overnight at a B&B, then rode the Ffestiniog the next day. They were still running the old DMU's then where you could sit behind the driver and have this great view of the right of way. Here is the train at Machynlleth where I had to change for the train to Porthmadog.

PICT0007.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jonpd View Post
    I can sympathize with that. ......
    I was in Wales back in 1971 and rode the Cambrian Coast line out to Porthmadog, stayed overnight at a B&B, then rode the Ffestiniog the next day.......
    How ironic: On the one hand you understand Mike's attitude towards tourism yet in the same post you mention being a tourist in Wales.

Hahahahahahaha, crossed purposes here Bruce. Tourists are fine as long as they bugger off home after their hols.

What i object to is the incomers, that come here. Throwing their money around and buying everything up. Businesses, houses, etc etc etc.

That's me done now, no more moaning, whinging or whining. Thread is supposed to be about the Cambrian route.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    How ironic: On the one hand you understand Mike's attitude towards tourism yet in the same post you mention being a tourist in Wales.
    Yeah, yeah, well like Mike says, nothing wrong with tourists as long as they spend their money then leave.

I suspect the Ffestiniog wouldn't be around very long if they had to depend on local patronage to keep it running.

I think the worst aspect of being tourist dependent is the "Potemkin Village" effect when towns try to look quaint, to be what they think tourists want them to be, rather than their real selves. Fortunately Lubec where I live hasn't succumbed to that level yet.

I still have fond memories of that trip though. I have the Video 125 DVD that they made a few years ago which I get out once in a while to look at. Would like to go back sometime and check out the other railways like the Tallylyn.

Jon

This route is now released as a free download on Alan Thomson site.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

After reading this thread I finally installed the 2003 MSTS Cumbria route from the CD that I'd been sent as a bonus when I bought my RailDriver from a guy on Ebay last year. Although it's 18 years old now I'm really enjoying running the activities. I did substitute all those cricket sounds for UK birds though lol and downloaded new sounds for the tank engines from UKTrainsim.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...