Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cambria line

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ......I'm more into running the Australian routes in MSTS/OR these days, all built to a magnificent standard of finish.
    Which routes are they, Vern?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Seriously? Are the rail corridors in rural areas generally overgrown?
    They are overgrown everywhere now Bruce. Up to the late 1980's everything was kept tidy.

If you look at any old piccies of the railway in BR days. You will see the neatly cut embankments and a serious lack of trees growing down to the track bed.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Cambrian Line, route pdf here........................... https://www.mediafire.com/file/yre2e...ShJ1oOygNXAYGM

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Cambrian Line, route pdf here.......
    Thanks, Mike.

There's a lot of additional stuff required.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

In North America you have bans on pesticides as well. Only the lines that are run on a regular basis tend to spill enough oil, crud, and other chemicals to kill the weeds naturally

Nothing anywhere is like what it once was.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Which routes are they, Vern?
    Mainly Coals To Newcastle, I’ve got a couple more from Steam4Me which I have to get round to installing.

Re the Cambrian route for TS, come to think of it I may have come across it, saw the list of dependencies and thought ouch. That’s where an all inclusive commercial route for a reasonable price would win hands down.
    Vern.

Thanks, Vern. Yep...I've got a few of Steam4Me's hosted routes.

I echo your sentiments regarding Cambrian. Looks too painful to me to download all the stuff needed.

metalangel Guest

I covered the Cambrian line during my time with Network Rail and the two biggest problems were:
    • 158s overheating on the gradients, due to the radiators being clogged with leaves and pollen (thanks to all that overgrown vegetation)
    • The ERTMS, which was on trial for this area, not working properly. Notably during a press event, where the driver parked too far down the platform at Aberystwyth, so the GSM antenna was obscured by the station canopy and could not receive movement authority.

They also had big problems with overcrowding and late departures from Brum New Street, but that's another story.

Incredible scenery to see along the way, especially around the coast. Never had the privilege to ride the train, but I have driven the whole coast.

Quote Originally Posted by metalangel View Post
    .....Incredible scenery to see along the way, especially around the coast. Never had the privilege to ride the train, but I have driven the whole coast.
    The doco I was watching (something like "Worlds Most Beautiful Train Journeys") really showed the beauty of the route. Stunning scenery.

metalangel Guest

Personally, I’d rate it above the Central Wales Line (aka the Heart of Wales Line) which was heavily pushed to tourists, with jazz trains and real ale excursions and such. The Cambrian Line also has the bonus of interacting with six narrow gauge lines, including a flat crossing with the Welsh Highland Railway.