Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TrainSimulations Seligman - Sharp Turns in 70mph Zones?

Quote Originally Posted by flanker View Post
    DL'd and saved. Thanks for this resource.

Excellent resource; also downloaded it.

There's a free Seligman Sub in the f/l here (a Bob Wirth production iirc). The track seems to be very well done, but the surrounding scenery is kind of generic and a little too green (springtime doesn't last long in Arizona, and generic oak trees don't seem quite right). Trainsimulations does the surrounding scenery much better. And, obviously, none of the activities developed for the Trainsimulations routes will work.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Excellent resource; also downloaded it.

There's a free Seligman Sub in the f/l here (a Bob Wirth production iirc). The track seems to be very well done, but the surrounding scenery is kind of generic and a little too green (springtime doesn't last long in Arizona, and generic oak trees don't seem quite right). Trainsimulations does the surrounding scenery much better. And, obviously, none of the activities developed for the Trainsimulations routes will work.
    While Mr. Wirth is very talented ( and accurate ) in laying track...hardly anyone better in the freeware MSTS routes...the scenery always takes second billing. In the western US desert routes, since scenery is so sparse to begin with, it's somewhat important to get enough scenery of the right type to convey that "sense of place" that completes the route.

If I ever take the time to learn TSRE ( or whatever RE may appear in the future ) I'll tackle one of Bob's excellent routes to develop the scenery...since the hard work of laying track is done so well.
    To Bob Wirth for all the fine routes he has created for the community >>> HatTip.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I seen this too in some routes. The Pocahontas does not escape this either. I've thrown up speed restrictions in those segments until I can rework the area.
    M. Payne

Wow i used to say the same things and complain about this and that until I started working for and building stuff for a sim. The real world is round sim world is flat so, there has to be some compromise. Nobody is perfect. So make a sim so we can see what you can do. Good night and good luck.
    sparkplug

Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    The real world is round sim world is flat so, there has to be some compromise. Nobody is perfect. So make a sim so we can see what you can do. Good night and good luck.
    The issues has nothing to do with the curvature of the earth, no one is expecting perfection, and the patronizing snub wasn't necessary. But thanks anyway for your reply.

Anyway, I've been messing around with the adhesion settings in the Experimental tab. Adjusted the Adhesion Factor Setting to 98% and left the Adhesion Factor Random Change to 10% - resulting in anywhere between 96-100% adhesion in-sim in dry conditions with occasional spikes to 101%. Made these changes because I felt that a 130% coefficient wasn't entirely realistic, though I realize this assumption may be incorrect. If anyone has any constructive input about this...

Also put the Advanced Adhesion Filter in the Simulation tab to 30, halfway within the suggested range of 10 to 50 according to the manual.

The results were that I couldn't accelerate or brake as aggressively as before, and approached and negotiated smaller turns at significantly lower speeds. Sorry, I didn't take notes for comparison as I was just messing about but I still wanted to post. . Of course, train handling was more demanding but not unduly so. You had to think further ahead the train than before. I was still able to get up grades and move the load along, though it took longer. Personally I like the results so far, though I don't know if my changes were a move in the wrong direction objectively. More interested in realism than "having fun" for it's own sake; doing it right in "hardcore mode" and still getting it done is fine by me.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Actually, I just realized that I ran different trains before and after the changes in the Simulation and Experimental tabs. Both intermodals, but the second was far heavier than the Z that was run before the changes. Which, of course, would effect performance more than the changes made in the options.

...because I'm stupid.