Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great British Rail

metalangel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Of course the other crazy thing about these re-organisations, of which I went through many during my 40+ years in the rail industry, is that nothing really changes apart from maybe a few names at the top. The same people drive and signal the trains as before, the same people compile the plan and timetable - you cannot just replace experienced and qualified staff on a whim.
    When I started with ATW, we'd get a number of letters saying how bad we were and that we deserved to lose the franchise and that everyone should be fired and someone who knew what they were doing should be brought in. They really did mean everyone, from the head office staff down through train crews and station staff to the guy swapping the waterless urinal tanks at Cardiff Central.

People even celebrated when the franchise did end, thinking that the above was what was going to happen - because they don't have a scooby how the railway actually is run.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-45838051

I honestly believe that they saw Virgin Trains once during a trip to London and thought that they came in to take over from BR and brought all new staff and Pendolinos with them... they certainly didn't just slap some paint on the old 86s, did they?

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Yesterday i read we can look forward to bloody trains built in Spain for TFW from 2023 (Class 197).
    Final assembly done in a brand new factory in Newport. Tidy.

I vaguely seem to remember we built our own loco's and rolling stock for over 150 years.

Tories put an end to that as well, demanding cheap as chips, not UK quality.
    Bingo! The poor APT. Sozzled journalists ruined the thing's reputation by blaming their illness on the tilting, not the open bar on the press trip, and it was all down hill from there. Conservatives are usually penny wise, pound foolish, and privatised everything they could, with the end result that the APT technology patents were sold and soon being sold back to the UK in the form of the aforementioned Pendolinos which naturally the same cretins who hated the APT now loved because the money had been spent to fully develop it.

As ragtimer says, it's not 1920, you can't run public transportation as a proft-making enterprise any more, it should be publically run as an essential service. Railways got fabulously rich 150 years ago because they were the best and only option for moving stuff.

Oh wow we get the crumbs, not the main course.

UK has gone to the dogs, buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Yesterday i read we can look forward to bloody trains built in Spain .....
    Ahaaa! That is EXACTLY what happened down here, Mike. The NSW government placed orders with a Spanish company for new rolling stock for the metropolitan lines in Sydney.
    They still haven't gone into service because they had to be modified on arrival due to the loading gauge being too wide.
    Bloody pathetic.
    There was a HUGE backlash from the opposition and also from the TWU (Transport Worker's Union) as to why the contract went offshore.
    The government did the same thing with new ferries for Sydney Harbour......yet we have perfectly viable ship-building capabilities in the country. The imported ferries also had to have mods done so that they would fit under some bridges on the way to Parramatta!

It's all about #[email protected]&ing money yet they waste more in fixing stuff-ups than if they'd contracted domestically in the first place.

Oh.....don't get me started! I'll get off the soapbox now but just wanted to let you know that what you are experiencing seems to be common; governments looking for cheapness rather than quality.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

The same the world over then Bruce. But where do the bloody spaniards get their trains from.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

metalangel Guest

Canada is home of Bombardier, and yet their recent performance with streetcars and light rail vehicles for Toronto meant they are no longer a sure thing for any new orders. Alstom had to step in to make more LRVs as a contingency plan, all the new streetcars that had work done at a plant in Mexico were found to have deficient welds and will need to be sent to a facility in Kingston to be fixed...

This news has meant that they lost bids for the huge transit expansion projects in Montreal, as well as for VIA Rail (Canada’s national passenger operator) who are buying a huge new fleet of intercity trains... that one went to Siemens.

Most Bombardier business units have been sold to competitors now, anyway, so I’m not even sure what they do do any more apart from business jets and snow machines.

T....But where do the bloody spaniards get their trains from.

Mike.
    Probably China, then marked up to cover costs and add a decent profit, then on-sold at to gullible governments such as the one currently in charge of our State.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

If anyone here in UK thinks the present operators are any good,they should watch "Paddington 24/7" and see what a shambles it is.In the good old days,when we had a signal failure,the drill was post a handsignalman,hand wind the points as required and caution all trains.These days it causes major disruption.They had a failed electric unit stuck outside for hours.My reaction would have been to get another unit on to it and drag it where required ASAP.
    BR wanted to fund new trains by borrowing long term money to fund them and pay with the receipts over the life of the trains concerned.Instead of this the genius government brought in the train leasing companies to cream off their slice of profit instead of it going to BR.

Probably right there Bruce. Sensible railway back then ragtime and watching that Paddington series, just makes my blood boil.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd