Thread: Instructions to obtain & process DEM files for DEMEX use

Cool Instructions to obtain & process DEM files for DEMEX use

Colleagues,

As of today, May 21,21 the process I follow to obtain and process DEM modules from USGS works but the USGS often changes procedues, formats, etc. so my advice is to give some thought as to the routes still in your bucket list and grab the modules you expect to need.

I have just uploaded instructions of the method I use to the library, and likely it will appear in a day or two. I would like to have just put them in the forum but the file type (Word-10) was not acceptable to the attachment process. If you do not have "Word" then WordPad was supplied with Win-7 and it handles the file okay.

You will also need to have VTBuilder on your system because the .tif files directly from USGS will not load in DEMEX.

J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX & SR)
    Docent, C&TS RR

Thank you very much for this, Jerry.

I've struggled several times trying to understand and get competent with Q-GIS. I'm hoping I can grasp your system so I can be self sufficient in my route endeavors and not have to ask/depend on others for assistance with DEM. Thank you for your help in the past in that regard, too.

Andre,
    Others,

Q-GIS seems to be pointed more at professional users rather than occasional hobby types like us.
    I gave up on it and removed it from my system. VTBuilder has a lot more capability than is
    needed just to process USGS geotiff files, but it is easy to use for our purposes. The only quirk
    I found was that you can only process one file at a time, i.e. with 8G of memory, after which
    you must close out of the program and restart it, but that is a small issue.

J. H. Sullivan.

Is there anywhere to find instructions in plain English? I have zero clue what anything I have downloaded from VTBuilder is trying to say. Too old to take a college course in computer script and programming at this point.
    Dave

I thought I did provide a solution in plain English. At 82 I am a bit long in the tooth to understand script
    etc. myself though I once wrote credible programs in Visual C. I don't understand much of VTBuilder
    either but I did work out the process I explained as how to use it to process USGS files to make them
    DEMEX compatible. Send me a private message if you need more.

J. H. Sullivan, P.E. (retired from CSX & SR)
    docent, C&TS RR

Message sent. Thanks!
    Dave