Thread: SD70 Reskins by Don Newman

Question SD70 Reskins by Don Newman

I was going to post under the old messages but it's over 7 years from now. So I thought that I better start with new message about SD70 Reskins by Don Newman. OK I did change all the shape file from NS_SD70_2579 and SLI_NS_SD70_2579FA.s too and Sound Folder too from the folder of SLI_NS_SD70 for Illinois Central SD 70 10 pack. To my surprise to see the screenshot in Conbuilder show exact the same locomotive with SLI_NS_SD70_2579 and the logo on the side of this locomotive said " Norfolk Southern " What have I done with this error even Conbuilder show me no errors for IC SD70 10 pack. Oh one more thing about the cabview file and I already have SHR Cabs with the file name of SHR EMD-STD-70 Cab.

Let me know about this.

Thank you,

John

Hi John,
    ConBuilder uses Shape Viewer to display the vehicles. The new version of Shape Viewer ALWAYS selects a .dds file over an .ace file with the same name, even if the latter is specified in the shape file.

The solution is to remove all the .dds files from the IC_SD70_1nnn folders.

I have NOT tested these locos in MSTS or Open Rails but would expect the latter to recognise the different texture files!

I can't answer regarding the cabview but if you've already got SHR EMD-STD-70 Cab installed, I don't think you'll need to install it again!

Cheers,
    Ged

Ged, I have followed your instruction (the solution) is to remove all the .dds files from the first locomotive, IC_SD70_1001. Then checked over to see how it look on Conbuilder and show me grayed out locomotive in screenshot. Will wait for others who know more than me to say something about this.

Thank you,

John

I have these same SD70s. I changed the .ace file name to read IC_SD70_1xxxa and IC_SD70_1xxxb. Then I edited the shape file. My reason for doing it this way is I put all 10 in one folder. Doing that instead of having 10 separate folders of the same engine but different numbers.

CSX FAN
    Last edited by CSX FAN; 05-23-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Hi John,
    I didn't use ConBuilder as I haven't put the locos in an existing TRAINSET folder, but I have used Shape Viewer to display the new shapes. I suggest you do the same and report how they are displayed. If they are still grey, then I think you've made a mistake somewhere along the line!

Cheers,
    Ged

Yep, this set caused a kerfuffle when it was first released in the library. Like CSX Fan, I also put all my locos in the same folder, I do this with quite a few of the multiple locomotive "sets", it can be more work because sometimes you have rename ace files or other files to give them distinctive names that match the individual locomotives. Which also means renaming chores in the shape files.

Here's what I wrote in my notes in the set:
    The ICRR repaints were done using ace files, the DDS are the original NS textures. So with the DDS option checked in OR all the engines show as the same NS original number. The DDS files need to be stored, so when the DDS options is checked in OR the locomotives will appear with the newer ace file, which are the ICRR logos. July 31, 2015 gds
    Thread at Elvas >> http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...34#entry186334

bandicam 2021-05-23 15-12-18-316.jpg

With the DDS files all in a folder, no matter what option you have checked in OR, only the ACE files will be used.
    bandicam 2021-05-23 15-21-30-671.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

As an aside...a very good program for those time consuming multiple renaming chores...

Bulk Rename Utility...powerful, lots of options...recommended. >>> https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

bandicam 2021-05-23 15-54-11-438.jpg
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.