Thread: Chromebook not allowing downloads

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Default Chromebook not allowing downloads

My chromebook has stopped being able to download files from e.g UKTrainsim ( and other trainsim sites).I have tried using methods suggested on the net but nothing works;I do not want to "powerwash" as it would destroy my access to every site and email I have ever used as the passwprds suggested by this wretched machine would be lost.I tested this site,and it does download,totally bizarre.
    In urge everyone,NEVER USE A CHROMEBOOK" stick to windows.This machine has proved to be a lump of garbage (and that is being polite).
    Last edited by ragtimer; 05-26-2021 at 03:28 PM.

What browser are you using. You can install and use different browsers. I use Firefox on all of my stuff. PC and Android. It does a good job of making up and saving passwords and logins.
    I work with chromebooks at a small school, never did care for them but they are easy to manage.
    If you are logged into your Google account on your chromebook make sure to turn on the account sync options. Google will save all of your personal stuff, logins, photos, etc so you can access them from any computer, any where.
    You shouldn't need to powerwash it but if you do you'll have a backup of everything.
    Best of luck.

Randy

Can't help, but I can offer validation of you low opinion of chromebooks

Could you please explain how to do this,I find this thing most confusing,and no instructions.I do not like just clicking on tabs etc,I did something recently and it made me change my password to log into the chromebook.
    How do I install another browser please ?

It appears that several browsers now block direct downloading,although I have successfully downloaded files from here and Train Sim Safe House !!!!.
    I followed the instructions sent by UK Trainsim and all I get is an empty screen with no download link.The end of downloading files for me unless some genius can come up with an answer.I tried downloading and installing firefox which is not affected but have no idea as to how to unzip it and install.The chromebook does not want to play !

Downloaded firefox from the play store apparently installed,but still does not work as my browser.Can anyone help ?

I just went back to UK Trainsim,followed the instructions again and got a pop up box "download with firefox?" It works !!!!!

I hop tis is of use to everyone else !

On TRAINSIM.COM if you want to download anything you have to right click on the download button and then select "save as link"from the menu.
    Stan

You might need to set Firefox as your default browser. That should be an option in the Firefox settings, or in your Chromebook settings (I'm not familiar with Chromebook so I don't know where that is done).

Jon

I am fine with chrome as my browser as regards everything else,I believe in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so now OK with downloads,although after so long involved with the sim,there is very little I need/want to download.If anyone else is using a chromebook,I found that installing a mouse to get around pages and copying files from there to a USB stick makes life a lot better.
    Thank you for all the replies.