Thread: Windows/Watchdog Error

Default Windows/Watchdog Error

Hello, has anyone in this section got a cure for this crap?

I do not know where or when this came on board, but for the past few days it has been wreaking havoc on my Desk-Top.

I get total shutdown with the message windows/watchdog-error, which, from what I have read is an issue that is affecting a lot of computers. I gather it has something to do with the way information is obtained and how the computer deals with it.
    I have updated all my Device Drivers and have done complete scans of the computer. This only started to happen June 1st.

Do any of you have a Cure or Correction that will make this latest Windows Invader Happy???
    Something that a "Non-Computer Person" can understand and accomplish? I have included the last OR Log for my computer information.
    OpenRailsLog.zip

Hi Don,

You are not making it clear whether the problem is windows or OR.
    The log file does not reflect a timeout error.

Are you able to post a picture of the desktop error, so that we have a clearer picture of the problem?

Do other PRR activities run ok?
    Cheers
    Derek

Default Windows Watchdog

Hello, I thought that posting here it would be best, appears to be a Windows 10 issue. I only included that log as a note to give my computer specs.

Now, today, I had the same thing occur using the Google search engine. I switched to Microsoft one and everything seems ok.

This is what comes up when it freezes:

I have ran into watchdog errors before but only when overclocking my computer. How recently have you cleaned the dust out of your computer?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Quote Originally Posted by trainmanaustin View Post
    I have ran into watchdog errors before but only when overclocking my computer. How recently have you cleaned the dust out of your computer?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    Yup, just got around to doing that. Thank you. It is just one of those things you know you have to do but just never get around to.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    Thank you for that, at least now I have an idea of what it is about.

Ugh watchdog timers. Back when I was working for a living in process control we had a cement plant customer whose control system had the annoying habit of freezing and dumping cement all over the place which for some reason they found annoying. Something was causing the system to freeze resulting in the watchdog timer triggering a reset. They sent me out there to Iowa to investigate. Turns out if too many operators called up certain screens at the same time the system got bogged down trying to display alarm information and couldn't keep up. One good thing about the trip is I got to take a company paid Broadway Limited sleeper back from Chicago to Philadelphia where I was living at the time.

A couple of other possibilities for the Watchdog Timer errors are driver issues/conflicts and power issues.

Drivers, even if you keep them up-to-date, can still have bugs. Or one device's driver starts fighting with another similar one. A common example these days is with Logitech's new "G Hub" driver for some of their devices. It will generate conflicts and cause problems if your computer also has the older "Logitech Gaming Software" installed and some of their peripherals that could use either one are connected. it can throw various versions of Watchdog Timer errors.

Power instability -- whether it's a problem with the power coming in to the computer, or the power supply itself, can also be a cause. If the error happens when the computer is working hard (higher CPU usage, fans running at faster speeds) it's sometimes an early warning of a power supply getting weak. (The computer puts a heavy load on it, voltage or current drops, the computer becomes unstable -- and the error shows up.) It can happen if the incoming power id "dirty" with unstable voltage or frequency, which can happen when there's a lot of loads on the building electrical system or local grid, such as summertime air conditioning demands.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )