Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bit late but Happy Anniversary!

To me the granddaddy of all simulations was Flight Simulator. I remember running it on my original Jameco 8088 "IBM compatible PC" with 512K of memory (after all Bill Gates said 640K was all we would ever need!), a 360K floppy drive, 10MB hard drive, and a used IBM CGA video card monster. Frame rates were about 1-2 FPS which made maneuvering the plane a bit tricky. Things got better when I was able to scrounge up a 20 Mhz 486 chip and motherboard and a VGA monitor.

Then the original Train Simulator came out and I got hooked on that. I even did some route editing, learning the quirks of the MSTS tools. New routes appeared. To me NECv4 from Vince was a big step forward as the NEC has always been my favorite stomping ground.

Now we have OR and the benefit of 20 years of experience with the original MSTS. There are those that are comfortable with MSTS and those that want the new enhancements that OR can offer. Something for everyone.

Jon

Without BinPatch MSTS would be dead now, me driving MSTS on an old Windblows XP reserved for old games. Trying OR but not working on XP, my Windblows 10 is overloaded with other games, sadly no room for MSTS OR. Somedays I may tried to get enough room for OR on that PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker57 View Post
    my Windblows 10 is overloaded with other games, sadly no room for MSTS OR. Somedays I may tried to get enough room for OR on that PC.
    Hard disks are getting really cheap. NewEgg has 4Terabyte drives for $100 and less.

Jon

So are SSD's... $100 per TB for the Samsung EVO which have performed quite well for me.