Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit late but Happy Anniversary!

Default A bit late but Happy Anniversary!

June 1, 2001 was the official release date of Microsoft Train Simulator, although some stores were selling it a few days before that. That makes June 1, 2021 the 20th anniversary of the simulator!

Much to my surprise, I find that, on occasion, I still enjoy the old sim.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Me too,but in my case,I have tried OR and find it wanting in many aspects.

I have the opposite view. OR is superior to the old MSTS in every respect except maybe the lack of organic editing tools. But then there are adequate 3rd party tools such as TSRE.

Especially the new Monogame versions, they perform much better than MSTS and handle larger routes without a problem.

Jon

I'd rather see us celebrate 20 years of the community and the platform than get into yet another discussion about what might be lacking in either piece of software....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

MSTS vs OR:

What we prefer is just that: Our preference.

Trainsim:

I don't know when this forum came into being, so I can't celebrate it.

I do know that this page has definitely changed over the years. Given my topic of choice in V scale (link n' pin era's mainly), I don't share much here because of lack of interest by others.

Perhaps I should consider starting a thread over in the "Route Design" forum for my topic and see how it does. We shall see.

Even though I was a naysayer in the beginning I am definitely an OR fan. However, I do miss telling stories about how I would get hit in the rear end by my own train because of the "Cutbank" effect.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I'd rather see us celebrate 20 years of the community and the platform than get into yet another discussion about what might be lacking in either piece of software....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Yep, I also would rather celebrate a 10+ year global, community ( and volunteer ) effort to produce a creditable open source rail simulator rather than tip my hat to a failed corporate effort to produce a game about trains, that was not well planned and executed to begin with.

However, I will tip my hat to the idea of MSTS being the progenitor of all the modern train simulators, and to all the folks here and at other places that love the hobby and devote some of their time and effort to producing routes, models, and utilities that we all use. MSTS also being the source of all the legacy stuff that OR can use. But the newer simulators, like OR ( and RUN8 ) certainly are far superior to anything we've seen.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 06-07-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

I wonder if we can credit the original quarter-operated stand-alone PacMan gaming console in the lobby of the pizza parlor as the granddaddy of all the gaming content available on Steam nowadays?

Besides, is a 20 year old game really that much of an accomplishment? Its like coming on here and bragging that the car you drive has just turned 20 years old. Few would be hard-pressed to find pride anywhere in that preference.

A 20 year old game that is still being played is quite an accomplishment.
    I get complements all the time on my 26 year old truck.
    That being said, the only reason I have MSTS on my computer is for the registry entries and FFEDIT.
    It is an ok truck and the wife gets the new car.