Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship simulators

Default Ship simulators

Has anyone tried a ship simulator? I see ShipSim.com has 2 - the Ship Simulator Extreme Edition seems to be the latest.
    Since it runs under windows 7 I assume it should run on W10.

I see it has a demo. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Jon

If it's on Steam you could always try it for an hour or so and refund if not satisfactory.

I tried a yachting sim a while back but found it very complex and never really returned to it. The big problem with any shipping sim is, once you're out of port there is precious little to do other than point your bow towards the FPS and hope there aren't any icebergs lurking...
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ...once you're out of port there is precious little to do other than point your bow towards the FPS and hope there aren't any icebergs lurking...
    Not unlike running a train across the California/Arizona desert and hoping the signals are all green.
    (What is "the FPS", Vern?)

There are a couple of really good yachting sims available, one of which allows you to sail the world. The other is primarily a racing simulation.
    Being an ex-yachtee (raced on Sydney Harbour in the late 1960s and also in Canberra in the 1980s) I found both of them to be quite good.

There is also a "Suez Canal" simulation which has been on the receiving end of some bad reports.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...nal_Simulator/
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Funny you mention shipping sims. I was thinking of trying my hand at building one. The sailboat sim I was interested in on Steam is over 50 bucks Canadian so I'm not bothering with it.

As far as Suez Canal I haven't heard of it.

My sim would be Seaway Welland and is based on the Welland Ship Canal that runs from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario between across Niagara to avoid Niagara Falls. It takes about 12 actual hours to sail it. You would see plenty of other ships (kind of works like a single track railroad in some places, with double track sections in others).

I've always wanted a simulation that actually dealt with the locks properly. You start on Lake Erie at Port Colborne passing bridge 21 with grain mills that are serviced by both ship and PCHR. Transit Lock 8 which is an adjustment lock to get to whatever the lake level is. The lock is surrounded by Bridge 19a and 19 on both sides of the lock. This allows HWY 3 to pass along with an alternate route just south of the lock when Hwy 3 is up.

From there the scenery starts to get pretty sparse as you bypass the city of Welland but are in the newest section of the canal built in 1972. The other sections are from the 1930's and some the prior century but improved upon. You pass over 2 tunnels along the way Townline Tunnel which has CN & CP pass under along with Townline Tunnel Road. Nearby industry off to the east served by CN. Then you pass over East Main Tunnel before reaching the village of Port Robinson where the old section of the canal joins back in from Port Colborne.

Port Robinson is an older section of the canal and is only wide enough for 1 ship to pass through. Ships are held off in Port Colborne and timed down bound or at the old guard gate of Lock 7 in Thorold. Port Robinson has a ferry that replaces the former bridge 12 that was destroyed in an accident from the 70's. You pass over an aqueduct of the Welland River just before Port Robinson with views of CN to the east. This also is at nearby Port Robinson Yard.

The single width section takes you to the village of Allanburg and Bridge 11. This also got hit by a ship some years back when the bridge lowered on it before it was through. I headed out that day watching them put the fire out on the ship from the error of the bridge master. This was before the automation came into play where everything is now controlled out of Seaway Welland HQ in St. Catharines.

After Allanburg hydro inlets bring water year round to Lake Gibson and Decew Falls generating station. This is before reaching the former Bridge 10 removed from service (forgot there was 21 in Port Colborne also removed). You head over the HWY 58 tunnel at Thorold which I pass under Monday to Friday on my commute to work in Niagara Falls and come up to Lock 7. This section above the canal is the first of many double width sections though small to allow passing of ships. The city of Thorold as well as PCHR remains on the west side for the remainder and eventually blends into the escarpment where it joins in the much bigger city of St. Catharines along the shores of Lake Ontario my home town.

Between 7 and 6 the canal widens for double with passing. at Lock 6 the locks are twinned and are called the Thorold Flight locks. 6, 5, and 4. This is the Niagara Escarpment which runs from Tobermory on Lake Huron to Niagara Falls and represents the old lakeshore of Ontario in the last ice age. It is also the main height of Niagara Falls as this forms the gorge at Queenston and runs up to the falls proper to the east.

At lock 4 the double section crosses 2 bascule bridges which is CN's Grimsby Subdivision. If you want to see a good look at it just head over to my site at my signature as it's on the home page. The canal then narrows as the city of St. Catharines is now on the west side. Bridge 5 Glendale Ave is next before reaching a double width section above Lock 3.

Lock 3 is home to a viewing center if your ever in the area. Lock 7 has one as well in Thorold but this one is much closer and nicer. From 3 and other double width section shows up before narrowing to the Queenston Street bridge 4 the Homer Bridge. From lock 4 the canal repeats the pattern of single width for bridges etc. and only widen near the walls above and below a lock for passing.

The home bridge was the original Queen Elizabeth Way from Fort Erie (Buffalo NY) to Toronto that hugs the western shores of Lake Ontario on what is known locally as the golden horseshoe. The bridge remained but what the QEW now uses the Garden City Skyway which is a 6 lane bridge over parts of the city below as well as the tallest ships in the canal.

At lock 2 further down you have a lift bridge immediately at the southern gate. Further down the community of Port Weller at Lock 1 is home to the crossing of Lakeshore Road again to the south of the lock. This is also the home of Port Weller dry docks where ships are repaired or built.

From lock 1 it is double with all the way out to the piers at Lake Ontario. The piers are artificial and were filled by much of the land dug out to build the current Welland Canal to create artificial piers.

The canal is usually open from March to Christmas but can often open longer than shorter when Lake Erie is able to thaw which freezes solid pretty much every winter. This allows them to drain the canal between Lock 7 and Lock 1 for repairs of the locks in the off season. In Port Colborne it only the lock is drained out as there is a weir that takes water through year round to allow power production mentioned earlier from Lake Gibson.

As also mentioned all locks, bridges, and traffic control is done from Seaway Welland. They have close circuit cameras on all the bridges, locks, and sections of the waterway. The canal is totally dispatched for marine traffic and operated by many computers. A traffic alert system is used to inform local media as well as electronic signs along the canal when ships are going to be raised and how long they will be until available.

Personally I've always though this not only would be a cool single player experience but a multi player experience as well. It takes about 12 hours to transit the canal so I would certainly have an entire AI system dealing with the traffic so you would see lots of the scenery I mentioned as well as the passing ships.

Let me know if you would be interested in seeing something like that. Keep in mind my skill level is not up to par as I'm still learning newer concepts in programming considering I'm a programming dinosaur when it comes to my knowledge and experience. Getting RTS for Run8 was one thing because it was text driven. I'm working currently in Unity and again I have many projects on the go right now.

Thanks

Sean

FPS... GPS, oops.

Suez Canal, does that include the scenario where you try and turn your ship around mid channel and disrupt world trade for three weeks?
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    There is also a "Suez Canal" simulation which has been on the receiving end of some bad reports.
    What do you do in that, operate the excavator to try and free the Evergiven ?

Steve

Ship sims, always give me a sinking feeling.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Ship sims, always give me a sinking feeling.
    LOL!!!!

Fred
    Last edited by frliss; 06-07-2021 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Tried to place .gif Didn't work.

I preferred Silent Hunter, where you job was to actually sink the ships...
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    FPS... GPS, oops.
    Ah! That makes sense. I was wondering what Frames Per Second had to do with it.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0