Thread: A tunnel project.

Default A tunnel project.

So I have been struggling to get motivated in working on this B&O route of mine. Which needs a lot done. I have started some custom scenery work. Daunting task to say the least. Pictured here is a very (and I mean very) rough version of Kings Tunnel. I need to refine the textures and the shape itself.

I am a bit of a novice at TSM yet. But I am trying to build as much as I can on my own. I really do appreciate all the route builders out there who did it all from scratch.

You can probably tell I am a novice from this photo. But it will get better ( I hope ).

KingsTunnel2.jpg
    M. Payne

Well you've got the B&O position lights! That's motivating, just looking at that! Always happy to see B&O.
    I suppose there is no way to start learning to model than to start. Way to go for that.
    Christopher

While some may give me flack for saying this.... in 2021 you should be learning Blender instead of TSM. If you are a novice in TSM, you might as well be a novice in Blender. It has so much more to offer.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    https://github.com/pwillard/MSTS-replacement

I've got blender, I just have not really sat down with it much.

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    While some may give me flack for saying this.... in 2021 you should be learning Blender instead of TSM. If you are a novice in TSM, you might as well be a novice in Blender. It has so much more to offer.
    M. Payne

It has been a learning curve. This particular route across southern Ohio I thought I would attempt to build. I keep firing up working on it and life keeps happening. It may get done on the 3rd computer since it was started.

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Well you've got the B&O position lights! That's motivating, just looking at that! Always happy to see B&O.
    I suppose there is no way to start learning to model than to start. Way to go for that.
    Christopher
    M. Payne

Quote Originally Posted by pwillard View Post
    I may have to do that. I find TSM very frustrating to work with. I guess I have been spoiled by the ease of using Sketchup. But if I am going to have to learn something new, sounds like Blender is the way to go.

Jon

I've been dabbling in Sketchup for a while. Can't seem to wrap my head around it, but I keep trying.
    I've tried TSM, if for no other reason than to finish Allen Norton's Model A/AA Fords from Elvas Tower's library.

That ain't happening any time soon either.
    I'll keep plugging along.

Quote Originally Posted by rdayt View Post
    I've been dabbling in Sketchup for a while. Can't seem to wrap my head around it, but I keep trying.
    I've tried TSM, if for no other reason than to finish Allen Norton's Model A/AA Fords from Elvas Tower's library.

That ain't happening any time soon either.
    I'll keep plugging along.
    I use SU and I found it to be the easiest of all the 3D programs out there. I took to it right away. More so than TSM, Blender, and 3DC all of which just confused me to no end. Made several MSTS buildings before switching to Railworks. Continued making buildings and have been doing rolling stock for the past 7 months. I just started my first attempt of a locomotive, a SD45 which is going along quite well. Don't give up on SU. You'll get it.

I struggle with Blender. With TSM I am slowly starting to figure out how to create textures that don't look like complete garbage. Although, I am a long way from mastery. Once I get more of a hang of it there are several buildings for a route project or two I'd like to get built.

In the meantime, I will continue to practice with Blender.

As for Sketchup, are you guys talking about the current version of it, or the past versions? I might take another look at Sketchup too. I've seen some nice screens of scenery objects out there made in Sketchup.
    M. Payne

I still use the 8.x version of Sketchup... all my scripts work and the exporter is bulletproof. It's what I use for complex work that doesn't need animations or hierarchy.

I used to use Gmax for my animations and hierarchy dependent objects, but took the plunge on Blender a couple months back. The learning curve is indeed steep, but worth it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk