Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Tehachapi...

It's not a bad route at least it's a lot better than Jointed Rail's half hearted Trainz attempt. All Bakersfield consisted of in that was a shopping mall, a few junk yards and some houses. No oil facilities. The only real thing that stand out as off in the DTG route are the over use of vivid green ground textures and one tree with very thick trunks and branches. This area is semi arid so bright green is so jarring and unrealistic. I haven't tried any of the scenarios just a few quick drives. I think the Arizona route is probably better , but then in Australia we got ATSF locos without logos because whoever was too lousy to pay the licence fee.

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel444 View Post
    but then in Australia we got ATSF locos without logos because whoever was too lousy to pay the licence fee.
    We did in Britain as well, however, ATSF are now part of BNSF and they have licence restrictions across the whole planet, so, none of us outside of the USA have logos any more.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i7 10700k 3.8GHz Eight Core CPU, Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX3060ti 8GB, WIN10 PRO 64-bit. 10xTB in HDDs total.

Well you could have logo's if you used the unofficial patch. Which i believe i posted about, at the time.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    We did in Britain as well, however, ATSF are now part of BNSF and they have licence restrictions across the whole planet, so, none of us outside of the USA have logos any more.

Cheerz. Steve.
    If that's the case how come all the other sims have BNSF rolling stock DLC and I can go to my local hobby shops here in Brisbane and buy all the BNSF and Santa Fe models I want. No, I think it's DTG, whether they are too tight to pay license fees or they have done something to get BNSF p#%@ed off with them is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Right....I've just done the climb from Mojave up to the summit at Tehachapi and realised that some of the reference points I made in my comments were wrong.
    So I recorded the run and will get around to uploading it to YT but, in the meantime, I offer the following corrections:-

By the time I had hit the 2.2% grade outside of Mojave, I had reached a speed of 44.8mph.....just 0.2mph under the limit, so I didn't have to back off.

At the 35mph speed limit mark, with the grade at 2.2%, my train speed was 32.4, in notch 8.

At the 50mph speed-limit mark, grade at 2.0%, my train speed was 32.3 in notch 8.....and the signal was green.

The grade reduced to 0.0% and my speed increased to the maximum allowed, 50mph, but I had to throttle back because of the next signal being at caution. This brought the speed down at the end of that short flat section to below 50mph and I kept it there in anticipation of the grade increasing again (to 2.0%) at the 70mph speed-limit mark.

The next signal was green so I notched up to maximum and, as the grade flatted again just as the tail end of the train passed the 70mph mark, I was able to see the speed increase beyond 50mph.

At the next signal, which was green, and with the grade at 0.1%, the speed was increasing and by the time I had reached the big cement works I had to throttle back in order to keep it under 70mph.

I then brought it down again as the signal adjacent the level crossing was at caution. Grade here was 1.1%.

When I reached the next signal (#36372), it was at green but knowing that Tehachapi wasn't far off, and that the grade then started to descend and road speed reduced to 25mph, I backed off in anticipation.

I hope this makes it a lot clearer. Sorry for the inaccuracies in the original commentary.
    It doesn't change my opinion that the locos are too powerful compared to reality.
    Just interested what is the total tonnage of this train is, as to me tonnage is the main reason you get various speeds for the same length train on the same grade. I do know that length, curves even the types of wagons and loco performance are factors. The reason i ask is with Run 8 you are given all the information as to length, tonnage, how many loaded etc are on the train.

Most of the BNSF and some ATSF logos are available for almost all of the rolling stock at Railworks America.

Quote Originally Posted by theswitcher View Post
    Just interested what is the total tonnage of this train is, ......
    Sorry, but I haven't a clue what the all-up weight was.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0