Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tehachapi...

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    The DTG fan club on RWA is starting to get testy about comments that are not pro DTG/Tehachapi. O'l Buzz in particular. We have two versions of the route to choose from. 3DTrains and DTG. People will debate which is better till the end of time. (but maybe not on RWA)
    That's because we like to emphasize the positive and creative instead of the constant whining and bitching and moaning so common on some forums. Call me crazy but there is enough negative going on in the world without adding to it in a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz456 View Post
    That's because we like to emphasize the positive and creative instead of the constant whining and bitching and moaning .....
    That practice is simply turning a blind eye to the cons and just listing the pros. Referred to as "selective objectivity" in the sales & marketing profession....where it has been used it for centuries.
    I used to do it myself.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    On the left hand bend with wind turbines in the distance. The power controller was wide open and i was still losing momentum, Bruce.

Your pc must be more powerful than mine.

Mike.
    ???
    That's odd, Mike.
    I'll run it again (the default scenario) and see if I get the same effect.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I'll run it again (the default scenario) and see if I get the same effect.
    Right....I've just done the climb from Mojave up to the summit at Tehachapi and realised that some of the reference points I made in my comments were wrong.
    So I recorded the run and will get around to uploading it to YT but, in the meantime, I offer the following corrections:-

By the time I had hit the 2.2% grade outside of Mojave, I had reached a speed of 44.8mph.....just 0.2mph under the limit, so I didn't have to back off.

At the 35mph speed limit mark, with the grade at 2.2%, my train speed was 32.4, in notch 8.

At the 50mph speed-limit mark, grade at 2.0%, my train speed was 32.3 in notch 8.....and the signal was green.

The grade reduced to 0.0% and my speed increased to the maximum allowed, 50mph, but I had to throttle back because of the next signal being at caution. This brought the speed down at the end of that short flat section to below 50mph and I kept it there in anticipation of the grade increasing again (to 2.0%) at the 70mph speed-limit mark.

The next signal was green so I notched up to maximum and, as the grade flatted again just as the tail end of the train passed the 70mph mark, I was able to see the speed increase beyond 50mph.

At the next signal, which was green, and with the grade at 0.1%, the speed was increasing and by the time I had reached the big cement works I had to throttle back in order to keep it under 70mph.

I then brought it down again as the signal adjacent the level crossing was at caution. Grade here was 1.1%.

When I reached the next signal (#36372), it was at green but knowing that Tehachapi wasn't far off, and that the grade then started to descend and road speed reduced to 25mph, I backed off in anticipation.

I hope this makes it a lot clearer. Sorry for the inaccuracies in the original commentary.
    It doesn't change my opinion that the locos are too powerful compared to reality.

If you want to see what I'm talking about (real-life versus DTG's interpretation) have a look at this, from the 2:50 minute mark.
    The shot was taken at Bealville, on the Tehachapi.....and there are 4 locos on the point that are operating (4 are dead) and another pair at the tail.

Also in the same video, but now go to the 10:00 minute mark. Notch 8 and barely moving!
    Last edited by seagoon; 06-30-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Bruce i wasn't anywhere near 44mph hitting the bottom of the incline.

Did the AI go screaming passed you on the adjacent track.

I thought that was a nice touch.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Bruce i wasn't anywhere near 44mph hitting the bottom of the incline.

Did the AI go screaming passed you on the adjacent track.

I thought that was a nice touch.

Mike.
    That probably explains the difference, Mike.
    I ramped up the throttle pretty quickly afer moving off from the signal, wanting to get the speed up as high as legally possible before hitting that incline.

I haven't seen any AI yet......I saved the game when I reached Tehachapi and just started the descent, so no doubt they'll appear in episode two.

A couple of things I've noticed in this scenario - only two AI consists, one ahead and one departing Bakersfield; nil static consists in any of the yards.
    This is what prompted my suggestion that someone create some decent scenarios for this route.

In the clone I made I have set it back in the 1960's.
    Can't do much about vehicles and buildings - I'm not going to edit the route - but at least the locomotive power and rolling stock can represent that era.
    So being a little bit fanciful, in addition to 'Geeps' and 'F'-units I have added the DD40X 'Centennial' and, would you believe, UP's gas-turbine unit!
    I don't think it ever worked the Tehachapi line - the DD40X may have, I have no idea - but driving the gas-turbine is really good.

The AI went passed me not long after starting the scenario Bruce. Maybe because i was driving professionally and not flat out.

Can't have too many AI or statics in the game, or it falls over buddy.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

The AI went passed me not long after starting the scenario Bruce.
    Huh?
    Are we talking about the same scenario, Mike?
    When I start, that AI unit is about a mile ahead of me, heading up the incline at the other end of Mojave and the only other AI consist in the scenario is way off at Bakersfield, heading to Mojave.

Can't have too many AI or statics in the game, or it falls over....
    Yeah, I've noticed that on occasions in the past when I've cloned or created and added static and/or AI units.

UP AC4400CW, scenario = Higher Priority Part 1

Which is the one i said in my post of the 28th inst, Bruce.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd