Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There ANY Way of Reverting Back to Default Settings in Options?

Question Is There ANY Way of Reverting Back to Default Settings in Options?

Where on earth is the user options settings stored lol? Keep deleting the old and updating OR-Testing version but new installs keep using previous custom settings.

Just want to set things back to the new default before making changes again but I don't see any way of doing that, and I haven't been able to find the file where options are stored so it can be deleted to this end.

Thanks.

I want to say that you can refer to the manual as it states what the default value of all the settings are.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Fair enough, though I prefer navigating to and deleting the file, rather than going through and manually checking every page and click-box. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I'm used to starting new installs with clean settings and simply deleting user configs is usually the best way of doing that IMO.

Besides, I hope it's not asking much just knowing where user setting config files are kept anyway.

Thanks.

Settings are maintained in the registry. Run Regedt32.exe

Under HKEYCurrentUser/Software. Delete the Open Rails key.

Then reinstall OR as if it were a new installation.

Also clean out C:\users\{username}\Appdata\Roaming\OpenRails

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Settings are maintained in the registry. Run Regedt32.exe

Under HKEYCurrentUser/Software. Delete the Open Rails key.

Then reinstall OR as if it were a new installation.

Also clean out C:\users\{username}\Appdata\Roaming\OpenRails

Thank you.
    Never would have thought to check the registry. Busy looking for a dat, cfg, etc file.

Been clearing out the OR Roaming folder regularly, too. Thx!

There was some discussion about having a config file for user settings...I wonder what happened to that idea? Also why the registry instead of a config file?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    There was some discussion about having a config file for user settings...I wonder what happened to that idea? Also why the registry instead of a config file?

Cause it's windows and it's easier. :-)

You can use an ini file and the program checks for it first.
    Last edited by derekmorton; 06-13-2021 at 06:17 PM. Reason: extra information
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    I may be off here but I'm guessing it helps with the Enable Webserver option in the testing version of OR as it enables the use of admin templates, basically pre-made web page layouts.

No the webserver is for multiplayer only
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    No the webserver is for multiplayer only
    I've actually used the webserver in single player. It's for sending F4 and Alt-F4, Shift+Alt-F4 information to another device (phone, second PC, etc). Think you can show the dispatch window and other info as well. It's a cool feature, since you can display all the detailed information without obscuring the view on the machine running the sim. Just need to know the IP of the sim machine and assign a port number, and type in the url on the other machine. It's described in the online testing manual.