Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost content/Vaporware?

Default Lost content/Vaporware?

I've seen these obviously freeware boxcars in various YT videos of MSTS/ORTS
    (the CP boxcar at 6:19)
    (the CP boxcars at 3:21 and the boxcars from 9:12 to 9:15)
    (the CN boxcar at 10:25)
    (the SP boxcars at 15:44)
    (the SP boxcars at 9:00)
    (the MRL and BNSF boxcars at 0:52 to 0:59)
    (the CN and CNW boxcars at 4:49 to 4:52)
    yet I can't even find them in the file library even though I could swear they were there. Anyone have an idea on their origins?

How do you know they're "obviously freeware" based on a video?

given Timequeenofrome's videos have a large presence of freeware, that's what I figured

I am unable to view these videos.

Some general comments:

First do not depend on the search functions on this site, they miss stuff. There is no substitute for browsing through each complete section of the file library.

Second, there were a few MSTS websites in the past such as mophouse and British Columbia Locomotive Works that have gone down and their content has become unavailable. Sometimes you can find old stuff elsewhere by googling. Sometimes you can find old editions of websites at archive.org and even sometimes still download certain items (I have no idea if that would work for these sites. The odds don't favor you)

For older CP/CN boxcars I would recommend the BLWZT Connecticut River Line set at valleypass.com But then, I would, because I did all the reskins for the freight cars in that set in collaboration with Rick Franzosa who did much of the models along with Gaetan Belenger.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    I am unable to view these videos.

Some general comments:

First do not depend on the search functions on this site, they miss stuff. There is no substitute for browsing through each complete section of the file library.

Second, there were a few MSTS websites in the past such as mophouse and British Columbia Locomotive Works that have gone down and their content has become unavailable. Sometimes you can find old stuff elsewhere by googling. Sometimes you can find old editions of websites at archive.org and even sometimes still download certain items (I have no idea if that would work for these sites. The odds don't favor you)

For older CP/CN boxcars I would recommend the BLWZT Connecticut River Line set at valleypass.com But then, I would, because I did all the reskins for the freight cars in that set in collaboration with Rick Franzosa who did much of the models along with Gaetan Belenger.

Christopher
    I can only embed one video per post

(the CP boxcars at 3:21 and the boxcars from 9:12 to 9:15)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB_Pj5gAfM4 (the SP boxcars at 9:00)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyzWl_FpVug (the MRL and BNSF boxcars at 0:52 to 0:59 and the CN and CNW boxcars at 4:49 to 4:52)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txsWh7Abhr8 (the CN boxcar at 10:25)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VroqS0C-pE (the CP boxcar at 6:19)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYo-zC4b21I (the SP boxcars at 15:44)

Have you made a attempt to look at the Library ? Most if not all that you are in question can be found.
    Todd
    Iowa Chicago and Eastern Mason City Sub

In the file library under the box car tab search BEW. There are two CP box car sets, one of which has over 30 cars, ready to run.

Mark

Hi Chris,

Would you please show me some examples of what you think are failing searches?
    I you use the File Library Search, you will find what you need. If you are searching
    using the forum search, you will not.

Thank you,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    Hi Chris,

Would you please show me some examples of what you think are failing searches?
    I you use the File Library Search, you will find what you need. If you are searching
    using the forum search, you will not.

Thank you,
    Rick
    It is not a matter of a failure of the search function, but more a matter of inadequate information with which to create search that will be successful. AND it is a matter of the lack of the search function to be able to search the contents of the ZIP files.

Example: In the first video in post # 5 he wants to find the CP box cars at 6:21. The view in the video is not close enough to read the car numbers, but assume that one of the car numbers is 13579. A search in the Box Car section for "CP" yields 36 hits. A search for "CP" and "13579" may or may not get a hit. All depends on whether or not the creator used the car # in the title or the description. Was it packaged as a single item ZIP or was it packaged as a group of wagons. So many variables that it is had to know definately that the search worked correctly.

BUT if the search function included the capability to search for file names within the ZIP files, then a search for "CP*13579*.WAG" could give an exact hit. That is assuming that the WAG creator used the RR name and car number in the WAG file name.
    Charles

Hi Charles,
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. Interestingly enough,
    our duplicate file checker database has each/every filename and it's
    parent's filename for every zip file. If I get some time, maybe I can
    create some sort of useful search using that data.

Blue Skies!
    Rick