Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train simulator sites not for one train sim

Default Train simulator sites not for one train sim

Just curious as I check Trainsim daily. Not much happening, but I continue to check regardless as it's a cool community.

Can anyone recommend other sites as well? I was thinking of starting up a forum. Doesn't have to be just train simulator related. I DO NOT DO FACEBOOK

Thanks

Sean

Facebook seems to be the way things are going. Alan Thomson (for DTG and indeed other stuff) is far busier than here, UKTS (which is very quiet these days), even probably RWA.

I joined a Snowrunner group on FB and it's really alive and vibrant. The official Epic Games forum couldn't even get a refreshed password for my log in to me, though after joining I had a spate of unsolicited malicious emails.

My old site, Transport Sim UK, is still there somewhere, but I can't get access to the upload server to update it despite renewing my hosting earlier in the year. The host is singularly useless and again, a reason why nexus like FB, PInterest etc. now seem to be in the ascendancy. Unless you're doing it professionally, fewer people seem to want the hassle or cost of maintaining a web site.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Facebook seems to be the way things are going.....
    I can comfortably and happily live without Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and any other similar social medium.

I started out in 1994 with newsgroups and that's it will end, for me.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

There's no real discussion on Facebook. It's mostly people who want to peacock their photo or video skills, and their interface makes it impossible to actually follow a discussion. Like Bruce, the newsgroups and email lists I was part of in the 90's are still alive and well and a much more conducive environment for real conversation.

I agree with the critiques above on Facebook. Of course TrainSim will continue to be a stop for me as it's the only one that matters that isn't exclusive to one simulator. For fun I've decided to create a forum at https://rts.freeforums.net/ and it will take me a while to develop a base.

Probably an extension of my RTS community, YouTube etc. I find like FB, YouTube doesn't supply the conversation and interactions that a real community does. Though I'm still focused on trains, I'm open to have other discussions as well. There are lots of cool games I've enjoyed playing as of late.

Anyways anyone here at TS are welcome to join. I'll update my signature later, but for now it's time to call it a night.

Thanks

Sean

Glad to hear I'm not missing anything without Facebook. :-)
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Anyone that deals with Facebook exclusively I don't deal with

Anyways I was tired last night and forgot to give permissions for anyone to see all the messages. I'm a newbie when it comes to forum administration It's fixed now.

Thanks

Sean

Don't blame you one bit about FB. Those FB forums have flame wars between members that make simulator forums look tame. You may have to consider your own website for your venture. That's one sure way YOU control the overall tempo. You wouldn't have that with FB. You'd be at their mercy. Wix might be a site to look at. I have no idea on the cost to get setup.

https://www.wix.com/freesitebuilder/hiker-create?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campai gn=195454540^57874230682&experiment_id=wix%20price s^e^289646374460^&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_dWGBhDAARIsAMcYuJ zzXoBbqZgrVqq2iI18kHts1bJ-RUO0du57VGLQE6kb2EewUXQR3NwaAv2REALw_wcB

Pretty much what I did. I have my site and my forum. A couple people joined.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    ... There are lots of cool games I've enjoyed playing as of late...Sean
    Sean, I'm always interested in new games, better to get recommends from a person than read paid for reviews. Got any suggestions?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.