Thread: Dispose command clarification - and use of timetable pools clarification

Default Dispose command clarification - and use of timetable pools clarification

Normally a timetable for a real train covers hundreds of kilometers, (some long distance trains cover thousands) which is not possible in the simulator because the created route may only represent a portion of the real world. In such cases, when I designate a station as the "terminating station" in the timetable editor, it is not necessarily the last station in the real world. I don't want the train to permanently halt there after the end of its run, but rather disappear as though it has continued its onward journey.

Is this possible through use of timetable pools or any other command?

I read the documents on time table pools, but didn't understand where exactly I should specify the pool storage and access path - whether in the origin station or the end station and whether the entire path from storage to the originating platform should be mapped. Because in many stations, the sidings are complicated and requires minimum two reversals to enter the main platform along with signalling.

I am new to timetable in OR. Is this as complicated as I am imagining it to be?

I may be wrong, but I thought that by default the train disappears in timetable mode once it reaches the end of its run. If you want it to do anything else (stay put, spawn as another consist, etc.) you have to specify that with a command in the .timetable-or file.

Yes I tried removing the dispose command and it does disappear. I thought the dispose command was mandatory.

However I would still like to know about the pools and how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatone1980 View Post
    Yes I tried removing the dispose command and it does disappear. I thought the dispose command was mandatory.

However I would still like to know about the pools and how to use them.
    Described in the online manual here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
    Described in the online manual here.
    I read it. Very theoritical and informative. But having read it a few times I am still unable to figure out where exactly to place the storage area for the "pools" and the access path. It describes the pool file, but does the storage and access refer to an actual physical location on the route? If so how does every possible train path connect to the pool storage area because that would require extremely complicated paths with multiple reversals (to access certain sidings to be used as storage area)? Or is it simply abstract? Seems quite complicated. A tutorial-like page would help, but I couldn't find anything like a tutorial in google search.