Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In my Google news feed today...

Just checked on the UK site of Amazon and there's 4 used MSTS games at around the £20 mark. I'm unsure whether they post to India though.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

What we really need is a proper, freely-distributable open-source replacement for all of the old, unique MSTS "assets" -- the default scenery objects/textures, default rolling stock, default sounds, etc. which would finally make the MSTS CDs obsolete.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Piracy is unacceptable, period.

It's never acceptable or moral, even if it's the only alternative available to you. This is a game, not life or death.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    What we really need is a proper, freely-distributable open-source replacement for all of the old, unique MSTS "assets" -- the default scenery objects/textures, default rolling stock, default sounds, etc. which would finally make the MSTS CDs obsolete.
    I think something like this was planned not that long ago, and I started on a few shapes, but then it fizzled

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Piracy is unacceptable, period.

It's never acceptable or moral, even if it's the only alternative available to you. This is a game, not life or death.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Let me preface this by saying all of us only play Open Rails. We only need MSTS for its default routes.

I say this with utmost respect, Mr. Moderator. It may be just a game, but it's still got the largest library of additional content by far, and Open Rails has made it exponentially better. There's simply nothing like it, particularly for Indian content. And a lot of us Indians have been super-bored during the lockdown, particularly with WFH getting on our nerves. Of course it's not life or death, that comparison itself is far too grave for such a trivial matter. Also, are you suggesting that the only solution is that all of us stop playing the game? I'm sorry, that's... clearly not a solution.

My point here is that there is absolutely no harm caused by the people who pirate MSTS today. Their actions cause no losses to the behemoth that is Microsoft, they don't create, in your words, a life or death situation to anyone, anywhere, by denying whatever supposedly grand income they were to receive by selling MSTS. Plus, the players obtain the default routes that nobody else is selling. It's a win-win. But then comes the general discourse on privacy, which can be summed up in two words "piracy bad" and is obvious. I don't see why everyone's repeating it as though the meaning changes every time. Nobody's pirating big-ticket games like Railworks (still a smaller content library, but thankfully steam has made it available in India since forever so we can buy it), or doing some shady underground business with this, it's a two decade-old obsolete train game that no-one sells. At least here in India.

In the case of pirating MSTS, I find it laughable that something this harmless is considered to be so unacceptable, particularly when it's done solely due to non-availability of sellers in the first place. Had there been even one marketplace that offered MSTS, none of this would even need to happen.

People will disagree with me, especially those who still have access to a seller from whom they can buy MSTS. Good for them, they can take the moral high ground now.
    Swadesh
    Railfan from Bengaluru, KA, India
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVC...KA-9nsmib27ndg
    Happy simming!

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    This! Exactly this. I agree wholeheartedly.
    Swadesh
    Happy simming!

One item to remember here - just because older (yawn) content exists and is runable in ORTS, doesn't mean its optimized for new ORTS features. Some legacy MSTS features built into older content has become counter-productive to broad acceptance and utilization of new ORTS features.

The demand for older content tends to match the maturity of MSTS found in various geographic locales. Some places around the globe are a good 10 years behind in MSTS maturity compared to other locales, so they might see a need for older content differently than other places that have reached that maturity earlier.

This would be a non-issue if users didn't place such a premium value on hoarding just for the sake of collecting and were more willing to divest the content not really optimized for ORTS. Who really needs 120+ routes or 5 version copies of the same route to find enjoyment? If you do, see a shrink for that. And maybe if we had fewer (older) options, we would see more motive and interest in content development for the current platform once again. Some of the laziness against new ORTS development in MSTS-mature locales is attributable to the crutch of older content, some of which just plain sucks by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianRailways1601 View Post

In the case of pirating MSTS, I find it laughable that something this harmless is considered to be so unacceptable, particularly when it's done solely due to non-availability of sellers in the first place. Had there been even one marketplace that offered MSTS, none of this would even need to happen.

BUT it is available for purchase. See post #11.
    Charles

I am not going to specifically comment on this whole debate of needing to pirate or buy a 20 year old game from a foreign site at an unjustifiable high price just to use its assets in an open source program, but it is a fact that many youtubers create monetised videos using assets of MSTS through Open Rails. And not only is this MSTS pirated many a times but Open Rails too doesn't receive anything in return in monetary form or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    BUT it is available for purchase. See post #11.
    It's available only in the UK, unfortunately
    Swadesh
    Happy simming!