Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In my Google news feed today...

Quote Originally Posted by IndianRailways1601 View Post
    are you suggesting that the only solution is that all of us stop playing the game? I'm sorry, that's... clearly not a solution.
    Nope. Keep playing the game.

What I'm saying is stop stealing content. It's not that hard to create scenery objects in Blender or Sketchup.

Once you as the Indian community stop encouraging/enabling people to create routes that insist on using default crappy content, the entire moral dilemma goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianRailways1601 View Post
    My point here is that there is absolutely no harm caused by the people who pirate MSTS today. Their actions cause no losses to the behemoth that is Microsoft, they don't create, in your words, a life or death situation to anyone, anywhere, by denying whatever supposedly grand income they were to receive by selling MSTS.
    That's where you're wrong. It's true you're not causing losses to Microsoft, but you are stealing from smaller companies like Ubisoft and Atari that still pay money out of their pocket back to Microsoft to redistribute the product legally.

In the case of pirating MSTS, I find it laughable that something this harmless is considered to be so unacceptable, particularly when it's done solely due to non-availability of sellers in the first place. Had there been even one marketplace that offered MSTS, none of this would even need to happen.
    With such respect for software ownership in full display, you might want to ask yourself if you'd be willing to invest your money into acquiring the right to sell and distribute MSTS in India. It's clearly still a franchise opportunity waiting to be seized.

But I'm sure you wouldn't, because the piracy has become so acceptable and mainstream because even you perceive no victim to the crime.

What I'm saying is stop stealing content. It's not that hard to create scenery objects in Blender or Sketchup.
    This does make sense. I've modelled multiple scenery objects already, and so have most players at this point. In fact, none of the new routes these days have any legacy MSTS objects at all. We need them only for some very old yet very popular routes like the Mumbai Route by Nitin Bhandare, whose initial version was released in 2005. Other popular routes like the Delhi - Calcutta route, the IndRail v2 route, etc (which have all been released in 2007/08) do use MSTS objects.

Thankfully, there still are newer (much more realistic) DEM-based routes currently under construction, and AFAIK routes released after ~2014 have no sort of dependence on MSTS objects at all.

Once you as the Indian community stop encouraging/enabling people to create routes that insist on using default crappy content, the entire moral dilemma goes away.
    Exactly. In fact that's been happening for quite some time now. I'm already constructing a new route that covers a few sections that IndRailv2 covers. Like I said before, none of the new routes use MSTS objects anyway.

That's where you're wrong. It's true you're not causing losses to Microsoft, but you are stealing from smaller companies like Ubisoft and Atari that still pay money out of their pocket back to Microsoft to redistribute the product legally.
    Well, they're not redistributing it here. If they were, we would've bought it, and this discussion comes back to square one. That's the primary reason why piracy exists in the first place. There's nobody on Amazon or EBay selling it either.
    The only good news is that we've already completely moved away from legacy objects in our routes. If only we had replacements for our old routes themselves. I'm working on one myself, but we need many, many more.

With such respect for software ownership in full display, you might want to ask yourself if you'd be willing to invest your money into acquiring the right to sell and distribute MSTS in India. It's clearly still a franchise opportunity waiting to be seized.
    Not quite. Lots of players want MSTS so they can run the older routes, the replacements for many of which are under construction. The average user's dependence on MSTS may be high, but it's surely bound to decrease in the very near future.

I wouldn't because I'm a student and the last thing I'd want to invest in is a right to redistribute MSTS. I'd rather pool my money and buy the game when someone else, who's willing to acquire the rights to distribute this game, and doesn't mind the diminishing returns as alternative routes and objects eventually replace everything, does so. It would eliminate piracy altogether, and they'll be hailed as our (financially crippled) saviour.
    Swadesh
    Railfan from Bengaluru, KA, India
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVC...KA-9nsmib27ndg
    Happy simming!

You know what I hope comes out of the Indian train sim community? Some programming talent that can help advance Open Rails!
    Christopher

That's why we have rules here...

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/misc.php?do=showrules

Users shall not post or transmit material through these forums that advocates software piracy (such as methods of obtaining software without paying for it, offering or accepting software in an illegal manner)
    I see. Despite all of my explanations, I may have in a way broken this rule. I think my posts can be taken down now.
    Swadesh
    Happy simming!

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    You know what I hope comes out of the Indian train sim community? Some programming talent that can help advance Open Rails!
    Christopher
    I sure hope so too.
    Swadesh
    Happy simming!

It is clearly a clash of culture here!!! Of course I see that most Americans shout out how bad it is that they "steal" MSTS/Software/DVD/Bluray/etc. in Asia. But that shows only how ignorant you are about how the world works, especially the so called third world countries. For understanding that you need to travel to those countries, like I did as a western guy. And with travelling I don't mean as a tourist, but really go to live there for a while as I did (14 years long)!!! Only than you understand why that "piracy" as you see it happens there. It is very simple!!! An official MSTS/DVD/Software/Game/Bluray/etc. is simply impossible to get, even in official shops. You only can get so called illegal copies that are according to the countries laws in Asia not illegal. If you try to order an official copy outside of Asia in the west, it will for 90% sure not arrive (mostly stolen by customs or mail employees or airport employees). It is impossible to stop that. Even the big movie companies don't try it, because they know they don't succeed. You cannot change a culture for what in your eyes is not right according to your laws. Other countries have other laws, if you like it or not!!! Don't blame anyone for piracy when it is allowed by the countries law to do so, and they don't look at it as piracy at all in those countries. That is simply how it is, and how I experienced it during a long time living in Asia. So you cannot stop it. Just be happy that other poor people in the world also have access to that old software for which they have to pay a week or a month salary if they have to buy the official one.

This isn't stealing a loaf a bread to feed your starving children. It's stealing someone else's property to play a game.

I don't care how hard you want to use cultural acceptability of counterfeiting or piracy as an argument to support or explain it. It's still theft.

And, as previously pointed out, advocating and giving advice on how to commit piracy does go against the terms and conditions of your use of this website. I've left things as-is because it's largely a theoretical conversation.

Cross that theoretical boundary, and I'm pretty sure you'll find out how consequences get applied.

Also it is important that all the cultures that make up the human global culture abide by the same rules, so we can trade and compete on a known level playing field --- and currently the majority of societies do not countenance piracy.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    --- and currently the majority of societies do not countenance piracy.
    Based on what??? The majority of the western world you mean??? Because the western world is by far the minority in this world. Only China and India together is already almost half of the entire world population. Count the continents Africa, Latin America and Asia together, and you are talking about 75% of the entire world population, who all don't care about the so called "intellectual property" and "piracy". So how do you think you win that??? In those 3 continents people are still poor, so that is all reason to not think about things like that. As long as they stay poor, you cannot change that attitude at all.

Don't understand me wrong, I am not agreeing that the piracy happens on anything at all. But I also travelled a lot around the world and living long enough for over 14 years in a poor country (where most people still have to live on 150 USD a month or lesser) to understand WHY it happens, and seeing clear enough why you never can stop it sadly!!! You only can stop it when the people in those countries get a better income and more welfare that we (read rich countries) keep away from them by demanding goods for cheap prices that are produced there, and transferring our economy there for the low wages the workers get (and that keeps the wages low!!!)