Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cascades (Willamette Pass) Long Haul Part2 srv file missing

Default Cascades (Willamette Pass) Long Haul Part2 srv file missing

Hi guys. Recently bought the Cascades route but when I try and run the Long Haul Part2 act I get a message saying the ai 4 srv file is missing, but it's not! I've checked for missing brackets etc and also downloaded the route again and reinstalled but the problem persists. All other activities run perfectly. I attach the srv file and the OR log and would be grateful for any assistance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Check the act file. It is looking for an extra space after the 4

That's it! Many thanks Mr Geepster Weird that no one else seems to have had that problem tho - I checked the files on here and Elvas Tower before asking for help. One of life's many mysteries I guess.
    Last edited by niknak; 07-05-2021 at 10:37 AM.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi niknak,
    Please be aware!!
    I installed the Cascades route and ran MSTS_ActMan but it found no errors! Changed the .act file as suggested by geepster and the error was reported. Fortunately, no other activity uses that service. I suspect that, sometime since the route was installed, the actual filename of the service has been changed. Note that the 'Name' parameter in the Service file does NOT contain the trailing space, but it's not important to MSTS as it's not used when running the sim.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 07-05-2021 at 03:07 PM.

ActMan finds no errors because the space geepster posted about is present in the act, srv, and trf files, so that is not seen as an error. If one of the three files is corrected -- then ActMan, MSTS and OR will not find the other two files...thus an error. All three files must have the space removed that is found in:

ACT file: Service_Definition ( "Long Haul AI 4 " 40080
    FILE NAME of SRV file: long haul ai 4 .srv
    Service definition line in TRF file: Service_Definition ( "Long Haul AI 4 " 40080 )

These are the original files ( from my archive of the route -- this is the first route I made an OR physics conversion for the default equipment supplied with the route ) with the error in all three, since corrected and removed.

I have found this type of error countless times in MSTS files...
    Last edited by R. Steele; 07-05-2021 at 03:54 PM.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Hi Gerry,
    Sorry, I don't understand!
    The trailing space is present in all appropriate parameter entries and the actual file name, so no error.
    MSTS and Open Rails don't complain so why change anything?

A similar situation applies to service "Long Haul AI 2 " which is used by activity 'long haul 1'.

Cheers,
    Ged

More than likely there were equal errors in both the .act file and the .con filename and any other files that called it, so when oddly named, it miraculously still worked.

I can only guess that perhaps in the transfer and repackaging from the old MLT to the new MLT the error was spotted and corrected in one place while the others were not.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Gerry,
    Sorry, I don't understand!
    The trailing space is present in all appropriate parameter entries and the actual file name, so no error.
    MSTS and Open Rails don't complain so why change anything?

A similar situation applies to service "Long Haul AI 2 " which is used by activity 'long haul 1'.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Ged, Of Course you're correct -- perhaps my phrasing was cumbersome, I was just pointing out that the "extra space" existed in all three files, so OR, MSTS, and ActMan would not see an error. If only one file was corrected then an error would be seen.

So if one were to remove the space, it must be done for all three affected files. I have done this, probably being a latent Obsessive Compulsive when it comes to neat, orderly file work. I mean, even though it occurs in all three files, it is sloppy w ork. <<< see what I mean.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    More than likely there were equal errors in both the .act file and the .con filename and any other files that called it, so when oddly named, it miraculously still worked.

I can only guess that perhaps in the transfer and repackaging from the old MLT to the new MLT the error was spotted and corrected in one place while the others were not.
    Yep, probably, but for a fact, it occurs quite a lot in msts files! In all three files, just the same way as in this MLT example. I wonder why. Had to be how they were constructed, or a bug in the utility used to generate the activity. I really don't know. You'd think it would happen to a file once in a while, but to all three????
    Cheers, Gerry

Not sure if this will clear up any confusion or simply add to it but.... In my case only the srv file had the extra space - the trf and act files were correct. Hence I only needed to change the one file. I downloaded the route on 26/6/2021. Anyway thanks to you all for your help in getting the activity running.