Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cane Creek Route Released

Must be enough suckers or people who like the eye candy.

I didn't miss my computer for the 10 days of being on the computer. Nothing to look forward to on it these days.

Thanks

Sean

Horn sounds much better.
    https://youtu.be/p_u1Q1GcHuA
    Interested in all Train-Sims

I am curious..... I don't mess around with TSW, I just comment on what is happening with the game in the hopes it might shall we say improve. I watched a promotional video of the route that a FB friend posted last night. Are TSW graphics really that good considering what this video shows? If true, it's no wonder DTG refuses to give you guys the editors. You'd all put DTG out of business pretty fast having editors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAsk9FZ6Uy8

Quote Originally Posted by rt35ge View Post
    ..... Are TSW graphics really that good considering what this video shows?...
    The route itself was not created in-house by Dovetail; it was done by a third-party for DTG, who then added the rolling stock and locos.
    So this is essentially a 40-mile meander along a very picturesque track and with little else to add interest.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    The route itself was not created in-house by Dovetail; it was done by a third-party for DTG, who then added the rolling stock and locos.
    So this is essentially a 40-mile meander along a very picturesque track and with little else to add interest.
    This 3rd party...what would they charge for an Open Rails route....per mile of track I suppose?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    DTG could really do themselves a world of good if third party developers designed the routes instead of DTG designers who better than half the time don't have a clue as to what they are designing. Also, if they gave it to third party developers, maybe there would be more TSW routes over 50 miles in length.

...... if they gave it to third party developers, maybe there would be more TSW routes over 50 miles in length.
    Not necessarily: the contractor would have to agree to whatever terms & conditions DTG laid down as part of the contract agreement, and you can bet your boots that at least one of those conditions would relate to delivery by a specified date.

Therefore, with turnaround being important to DTG (create it, shove it out the door ASAP, start the flow of income) I don't think they would ever allow sufficient time for any third-party developer to create a beautifully detailed, lengthy, route.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

DTG could really do themselves a world of good if third party developers designed the routes instead of DTG designers who better than half the time don't have a clue as to what they are designing. Also, if they gave it to third party developers, maybe there would be more TSW routes over 50 miles in length.
    Yes, but, we've had this debate before. On the flip side, a 100-150 mile route would still probably only sell for the usual price of £24.99, as the fanboys wouldn't pay £40-50 for a route, would they, so, what 3rd party developer wants to spend extra time building a longer route but only getting the same amount of money for doing so, as DTG still have to pay commission to Steam and there would be very little left in the kitty as they would also include locomotives and freightcars which would also have money budgeted against.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i7 10700k 3.8GHz Eight Core CPU, Gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE AX, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX3060ti 8GB, WIN10 PRO 64-bit. 10xTB in HDDs total.

This seems more of a business discussion but I don't want to start a new thread just to say --
    Cane Creek is boring.