Thread: Caboose smoke - possible in OR?

Default Caboose smoke - possible in OR?

Hi guys, I'd like to have some smoke coming out of a caboose but although it works fine when the train is static, as soon as I move off the game crashes. Can anyone tell me if its possible to have this facility in OR please? The caboose I'm using (spcab2.zip) runs fine without the smoke addon (sp4333sm). Logfile attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi niknak,
    MSTS will only show smoke from a brake van or caboose if it is set up as an engine (.eng file).

It's possible that Open Rails is objecting to the incomplete .eng file. The good news is that OR enables smoke and/or steam effects to be added to a .wag file.
    See : http://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/p...steam-effects/ and, in particular, the Steam Boiler Van from this page : http://www.coalstonewcastle.com.au/p.../stock/#wagons

Cheers,
    Ged

Captain Bazza released a narrow gauge caboose, with smoke, over at Elvas Tower.
    BZZ_USNG_caboose_524_ver1.zip.
    It will have a good example of how to set up a .wag file for smoke.

Randy

Edit:
    Actually all of this is wrong, sorry.
    The model I was thinking about is here in the FL. https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....ight&fid=13989
    And a fix, https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tslib....e=NP1725FX.ZIP
    This is a Tim Muir model from 2005 and he is one of the best.
    Check out how he did it.

Randy
    Last edited by rdayt; 07-10-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Many thanks guys. I'll have a browse.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

Hi niknak,
    The download linked to by Randy does work in Open Rails without any problem, but why use a complicated MSTS work-around when Open Rails can show steam/smoke emanating from .wag files by design? CAVEAT - I don't know when this function was added, but it might not be in the currently available Stable version.

Cheers,
    Ged

EDIT : The caboose you wished to use (spcab2/sp4333sm) DOES work successfully in Open Rails (ORMG 100).
    Last edited by slipperman; 07-10-2021 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Update

Hi Ged. I'm going wrong somewhere then. I've just tried the file that Randy suggested and had exactly the same problem, ie: the caboose smokes beautifully when the consist is stationary but as soon as I open the throttle the game crashes as per my original log file. I'm using MG100 and suspect maybe OR doesn't like both the eng and a wag file in the same folder? Are you saying the Australian steam boiler van sfx insert in the wag file is the way to go?

Hi niknak,
    No, OR is quite happy with .eng and .wag files with the same name in the same folder.

My main sp_caboose_BW folder contains the original .eng and .wag files as downloaded (ie not modified in any way).

Ensure that the consist you want to use in Open Rails uses the .wag file.
    Create a subfolder named OpenRails in the sp_caboose_BW folder.
    Unpack the attached .wag file and put it in your new OpenRails folder.

It works for me OK, stationary or moving!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Attached Files Attached Files

NikNak, this is one of the uses of include files in Open Rails, using an "OpenRails" folder in the parent locomotive or wagon folder, allows you to use OR parameters without altering the original MSTS eng or wag file.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Thank you so much Ged and Gerry. All is now working okay. Now all I have to do is amend those files slightly in order to change my remaining cabooses.