Thread: 2nd District of CNO&TP (Southern Rwy., NS)

Cool 2nd District of CNO&TP (Southern Rwy., NS)

Colleagues,

When I get bored doing detailing on one route, I'll spend a few days laying track on another.
    Such is the present situation where I am detailing the 3rd district. The next area moving north
    would be the 2nd district and as I commented earlier in the 3rd district notes, I am including
    track that was bypassed & abandoned in the last 70 years or so, mostly that which was bypassed
    in the 1961-1963 period. The purpose was to reduce curvature & gradient and eliminate
    tunnels of which there were originally 23 on the 2nd district.

So here we have the Royal Palm, in the spring of 1963, when it was still a really good train,
    diverging off the new line at Tateville, KY. Ahead & slightly to the right you can see the double
    track (originally single track) main heading up what is now known as Greenwood hill. The "Palm"
    will take the old route, referred to as the "Sloans Valley line" for another few weeks. As a
    comparison there are several steel viaducts on the old line, 4 (originally 5) tunnels, curves to
    6 degrees, and as much as a 1.6% grade. The new line has no curves sharper than 2 degrees
    and a nearly constant .8% grade. Originally double track ended near the top of the hill at
    CP-KD Tower, a name moved from the old line. It was at this location that there was a spur
    angling off the single main into the woods about 100 meters and if the dispatcher needed to
    get the R-1 test train out of the way of per diem trains, this was usually the spot. As of 1998
    the double track extends all the way north to Kings Mountain and CP-KD Tower is now a set of
    crossovers about 1.5 miles further down the hill.

In the 2nd image, on a 1.6% grade the "Palm" crosses what will be a steel viaduct.

I have included bypassed lines, so far at 4 locations. The next one poses a issue. It involved
    elimination of 2 tunnels, but was built because it would be several feet under water after
    Wolf Creek dam was built. You & me, as taxpayers paid for that relocation. Either I don't
    include it, or I just "turn off the water" at the location. The last relocation involves a long
    tunnel, bypassed by a cut up to 180 feet deep, and the two are so close that I likely can't
    include the tunnel. There will also be 4 branch lines, actually independent feeder railroads
    that died at various times after 1946. The location under water was visible once when we
    passed on the R-1 because of a drought and low water level in the reservoir.

J. H. Sullivan
    Attached Images Attached Images

I decided to include the old line through Burnside, KY because the lake elevation that
    generates in DEMEX is a few meters lower than the old line. At maximum pool level
    some parts of the old line, including Tunnel #4 are a few feet under water. So when
    this route is released one will have the option of running the route "pre 1950" or
    1950-1963, or current year. Eventually, I will also have the 1st district which has one
    major line change, dating back to about 1930 which bypassed Tunnel #1.

Keep us in your prayers please. My wife has an appointment on Tuesday, 7/20 to
    assess the situation in her carotid arteries. The outcome of that will directly affect
    whether we make our NM trip in September or not.

J. H. Sullivan

I am praying Jerry.
    For her. And because I know how much the C&TS means and gives you fulfillment.
    I guess it is in higher hands.
    Christopher

Prayers sent Jerry!
    Kevin Kelleher

Praying for her Jerry, and for your strength to go through this with her as well!
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Hope everything went well with your wife's appointment. If it comes to it, I had the carotid endarectomy in 2008. It is a pretty straightforward operation and I only had to overnight in the hospital one night. Just have to have it checked once every year or two.

Jon

Guys,

Keep up the prayers please. She saw her cardiologists' PA on Tuesday but all that was done
    was to listen to the carotid arteries. Since she experienced some fatigue after taking her
    daily walk on Monday and Tuesday, three tests were ordered. Heart ultrasound, stress test,
    and ultrasound of carotids. Just an hour or so ago, the Dr. office called and scheduled all but
    the stress test for July 30 at noon. The doctor incorrectly coded the stress test and it was
    rejected by insurance, so they are sending it again and we should know by Tuesday when it
    is to be scheduled. She insists, demands, that whether she can go or not, she wants me to
    go. She knows that the docent "work" does positively affect my mental health. Also my son
    is bringing #2 great-grandson over for a ride on Sept. 11 when at his request, I have asked to
    me the docent. Guess he wants to impress Fenn or something, who is 7. My son will drive over
    from Gainesville, TX on Sept. 10, ride on 11th, and drive back on Sept. 12. It is about 700
    miles but at 55 he can handle it better than I could. I would hope that if stints or whatever are
    required, it can be done quickly. In the meanwhile, Karen is on generic Plavix.

As general information, the C&TS will resume through trains with return by bus as of July 31, so
    anyone that goes after that can get the ride that was in effect for several years. Masks are required.

Jerry

Will still be praying Jerry. God is good, and will work all of this to your good and His glory.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South