Thread: Trains not loading in my save game

Exclamation Trains not loading in my save game

After a few months I fired up my single player Run8 v2 save, but unfortunately trains are not spawning in when they should be. After I load into the world it states "spawning 169 trains", then nothing. I'm not sure what's going on. I've put 100's of hours into this save and I'm going to be very upset if I cannot get my trains back. I should mention that SOME trains do spawn. It says 14 total units in the world. It happens to other, older saves I have as well. In one of those I've had 179 units spawn (railcars, not trains), when there should be thousands. I am genuinely so very confused as to what's going on. TIA for any help.

It's been a while so my memory of Run8 is starting to slip. I remember something where it only saves the trains in your area and not the entire world. Have you tried loading the backups?

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by PNWRailfan View Post
    After a few months I fired up my single player Run8 v2 save,.....
    The situation you are experiencing reads very much like a corrupted file, or files.

I don't want to appear condescending (I don't know what experience you may have with Run 8 and/or PCs) but when you last saved the game-state, did you save it as a World file? Is there any chance that you might have saved it as a Train file, unintentionally?

This is unusual; in my years of using Run 8 (both v1 and v2) I have never had a World save not restore correctly.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I made sure it was a world save. I always save it as a world save. Interestingly, I sent it to another Run8 user who said the save works fine for them...all the trains loaded properly. I'm thinking it has to be something on my end. Not sure that though..

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    It's been a while so my memory of Run8 is starting to slip. I remember something where it only saves the trains in your area and not the entire world. Have you tried loading the backups?

Thanks

Sean
    It normally has always saved everything, from LA to Needles to Bakersfield (I don't own all the expansions). It appears to be a problem with every single old save I have. Each one will load *some* trains, but not all (like maybe 5% each time). I have saves from 2017 which used to work properly, now don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWRailfan View Post
    .....I sent it to another Run8 user who said the save works fine for them...all the trains loaded properly. I'm thinking it has to be something on my end. Not sure that though..
    If it works okay on another installation and not on yours then it points strongly towards either a corruption of your installation of Run 8 or a PC problem.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

What's in the Run8.log? For every world/train you load, the log will report any errors.

Also, I believe there were changes in track placement/alignment in places with updates since 2017 which would impact car placement but after the first time loaded with errors and a saving it on your part, the errors should be ignored on subsequent reloads.

Have you gone and tried the time and dated world saves the program does. Go backwards from the first one on the list working your way down the list of dated world saves.
    Clipboard01.jpg
    Work Safe play hard

Here's what it says. Clearly there's some error happening.

INFO - Loading 377 trains
    2021-07-21 16:03:10,549 ERROR - System.IO.IOException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.ReadCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)
    at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadSingle()
    at Run-8TrainSimulatorV2.CommandProvider.UncheckPlugin(St ring rootFont, GraphicsDevice nextReason, OptionsSerializer previousLock, PcitureProvider idHandle, Vector3 keywordsCount)
    at Run-8TrainSimulatorV2.CommandProvider..ctor(String rootFont, GraphicsDevice nextReason, OptionsSerializer previousLock, PcitureProvider idHandle, Vector3 keywordsCount)
    at Run-8TrainSimulatorV2.OptionsSerializer.UncheckPlugin( String rootFont, PcitureProvider nextReason, Vector3 previousLock)
    at Run-8TrainSimulatorV2.DiskContext..ctor(String rootFont, String nextReason, String previousLock, PcitureProvider idHandle, Boolean keywordsCount)
    at Run-8TrainSimulatorV2.ActivityProvider.QuoteServer(Boo lean rootFont)
    at Run-8TrainSimulatorV2.OutlineService.JoinConnection()
    at RunEight.ScnLoader.UncheckPlugin(TrainLoader rootFont)
    at RunEight.ScnLoader.Icon.MoveNext()
    at Run-8TrainSimulatorV2.PluginEditor.PrintBookmark(Objec t rootFont)
    2021-07-21 16:03:10,593 INFO - Placing train # 10 of 377
    2021-07-21 16:03:11,708 INFO - Placing train # 20 of 377
    2021-07-21 16:03:12,808 INFO - Placing train # 30 of 377
    2021-07-21 16:04:17,679 INFO - Spawning B-LACWSP2 at BNSF Colton Crossing Main 1

Sorry for the delay between replies. Been busy lately.