Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Activities in Run8 v2

Agreed Dale, good call on the lock as well. Just start adding the ignore list and we can actually help people who want ALL opinions. I'll leave me personal feelings on my own channels.

Thanks

Sean

lol... damned you Sh*t Stirrir your supposed to be on vacation. While, I didn't read anything from your end, negative this round. lol. I however, believe, a not so subtle attack has / had been launched. lol... "Git-Em!"....

Quote Originally Posted by Brad3816 View Post
    Also, be aware of those around here who don't use and/or don't like Run8 who feel the need to flood these threads with Run8 advice. The Depot or other Run8 exclusive sites are the best sources for good info on the sim.
    geez, while I typed what I could, other comments jumped in before my 2 cents.. Looks like, "Fire Control", &, their support ammo had already arrived....
    Last edited by SMRY; 07-14-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Anyways to get back on topic, I read somewhere that there were computer aided dispatch screens available for run 8 routes (TSCAD). Does anyone know if I were to buy these, does dispatching trains become automatic or it will still be manual?

Quote Originally Posted by csx8851 View Post
    Anyways to get back on topic, I read somewhere that there were computer aided dispatch screens available for run 8 routes (TSCAD).
    A TSCAD payware route came out. I don't know if it is still for sale but there is no support and it has some bugs. It must be used on the same computer Run8 is running on. I have it and if one is interested in a train dispatch simulator, it is prototypical and fun. The free External Dispatch program I referred to in a previous post is an excellent enhancement as it can be run on a second computer. There is no automatic dispatching and I don't see it in the future. Run8 focuses on simulating the operation of trains, not dispatching, scripting activities, grass waving in a breeze, etc. As someone who has prior railroad experience, the simulation is spot on.

Anyways to get back on topic, I read somewhere that there were computer aided dispatch screens available for run 8 routes (TSCAD). Does anyone know if I were to buy these, does dispatching trains become automatic or it will still be manual?
    To answer your question there is a link to TSCAD (payware) on Run8's websie in the community tab or go here https://www.formbstudios.com/
    I would assume it's still active since it's on their community tab. The external dispatcher can be found at Run8depot and is completely free.

TSCAD does a good job at simulating in a modern dispatching center. External Dispatcher is a more user friendly but powerful application.

None of these are currently capable of automatic dispatching. There isn't much public information regarding version 3. The odd post, rumor, or mention in Depot+ can be found. The official website has nothing, and the programmer might drop by here once in a while usually for damage control and rumor killing

I was hoping V3 might have some form of automatic dispatching as single players and smaller groups running in bigger routes and regions could use the assistance. You could add more AI functions but again there is only so much you can do.

AI automation is possible but you need to build the interface and the program to communicate with it, so in theory it could happen some day regardless of if Run8 provides it or not. I was able to provide car forwarding software RTS way back in version 1, you never know.

So let me help you get the most from your Run8 experience. Don't worry about the cheap shots or warnings you've purchased Run8 and you've made a very wise decision. I got multiple times over the price I paid for V1, V2, every route but Bakersifeld, Seligman West, and Lone Pine Branch. I didn't purchase every piece of equipment but that again depends on what you want.

Assuming you like activities you will enjoy MP. However you'll want to start learning to run some trains. You can still dispatch or clear trains in the F3 dispatcher. You can fleet all the signals AI who you want and self dispatch. The benefit of the dispatcher and MP is being able to run more trains.

If you like dispatching and you like doing it prototypically it can be done with Run8 and TSCAD. But it also can be done well with External Dispatcher. You really don't need either of those until your familiar with the territory and can run trains while running. CA is a nice place to do this especially if you are running an uphill train. But I find the F3 dispatcher is best to use on it's own for single player period. Keep in mind you can use both the external and internal dispatchers and they work well together.

I didn't get to use TSCAD much or the Oak Creek addition. Those were the only things I ever regreted purchasing for Run8 and it was just timing and had nothing to do with the quality of Run8. Run8 is worth every penny.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Brad3816 View Post
    .....There is no automatic dispatching and I don't see it in the future. ...
    Well, I hope that's incorrect.
    As a few of we solo-players have been suggesting over the past two years, it would be a practical enhancement to have some type of automatic despatching that doesn't require the player to do anything more than tick a box.

I know, I know....we have a style of despatching now, but it is manual as it requires us to select the type of consist, the location at which it will spawn, the frequency, etcetera.
    So to have this done automatically would be a boon.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I haven’t touched Run 8 for a while, too addicted to Snowrunner, but I would say once you get your head around the industry function it certainly adds purpose to what you’re doing. So long as you don’t expect TSW style XP or achievements popping up every five minutes, or a business simulation, you’ll be fine.

I do hope V3 includes some form of autonomous despatcher, along with a more structured way of organising your trains (working timetable in non North American parlance) maybe even the ability to schedule passenger runs.
    Vern.

I believe John like the idea of an automated hump so that's a start. Unlike V2 which if you used V1 was such a great new version, I don't know what to expect from V3. I actually opened up Run8 to test out a server for someone yesterday, didn't connect and that was it.

From what I recall the Winsock which is a way in which .net communicates I believe (haven't looked at it for a couple of years) uses as a conduit for external dispatcher communications. I forget the port number but it's porbably mentioned some place (I believe it's in external dispatcher manual could be wrong). Anyways it's all about what controls the signals and switches and what receives the indications back to the ED.

Ironically enough in some of my tinkering with Unity I was reintroduced to C particularly C#. Because I don't use Run8 these days and I don't know when V3 will come or how many people will adapt to it I've been reluctant to try. I would assume it would still be compatible with either V2 or V3 because of programs like TSCAD and External Dispatcher that use Winsock to communicate back and forth.

Writing code for autonomus but not human like dispatching is not that difficult. Since I have plenty of dispatching experience with TD3, model railroad clubs, and morphed into Run8 MP I have my own system of diaptching. Which means it was pretty easy for me to write a flow chart of my decision process. Again not a goal of mine at the moment, but you never know.

Thanks

Sean

Thanks everyone for your input, a side question, does anyone know if the external freight car sounds can be made any louder aside from putting the slider at max?

Thanks everyone for your input, a side question, does anyone know if the external freight car sounds can be made any louder aside from putting the slider at max?
    Nope. Hopefully there will be (slider??) a way to increase/decrease railcar volume in V3, which, in most users opinions, isn't loud enough.