Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Activities in Run8 v2

Default Activities in Run8 v2

Hello All,

I’ve recently decided to check out Run 8 and purchased the base program without any additional routes. I noticed there was only one world activity that came with it. I was wondering if I should purchase the other routes on the website, and wanted to know if they come with any world activities?

There are no activities in Run 8. World simply means the route is populated with multiple consists/rolling stock. There is lots of additional routes and rolling stock available only at the Run8 site. There isn't freeware and it's not possible to create your own stuff or alter theirs. They do provide a nice horn library so you can change to your liking. You create trains, AI traffic, and do what you like. The learning curve is a bit steep. I suggest you check out 'The Depot'. It is 100% dedicated to Run8 and many of your questions will be answered.

If I were you I wouldn't purchase any additional routes unless you have the money to spare. I wouldn't worry about purchasing additional stock either. The good thing is you can fully try single player over 2 BNSF/UP subdivisions Mojave & Needles, the hump at Barstow. Even if you join a CA server you will be able to participate even if you don't have the required stock. The missing engines and cars will default to a generic Run8 model. Your runs will be limited to the routes you own.

Depot has a strong community and servers as mentioned above. There are other communities not as supported by the Run8 team that is also dedicated 100% to Run8 (some very faithful I might add). I can't speak for Depot as it wasn't for me, but Southwest Rail Simulations https://southwestrailsim.freeforums.net is another smaller forum and server that took over for my retired RTS server. It's represents all the California routes and has a club like atmosphere of some great guys. I haven't been on it for about a year as I don't use Run8 these days but if you stop by tell them Sean sent you. There is even someoone on my forum looking for people to join their server so plenty of options out there.

It all depends on what your looking to achieve with Run8. Activities in the MSTS or Train Simulator sense are prewritten scripts that once you've played you know how it goes and that is it. The world save that came with CA gives you a populated world to try out at it's full potential without having to spawn in new equipment. But to me personally I would build it from the ground up with the stock you already have and simply run the trains and go. The world save will allow you to continue right were you left off and becomes their own activities. You have to dispatch your own trains and the AI trains but it's your sand box.

Servers give you more of a club atmosphere with dispatchers, yard crews, etc. running at the same time. This is the next step to take once you've learned to become more efficient at running trains. As mentioned it is a hard learning curve, but is certainly something you will learn if you like what you do.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by csx8851 View Post
    I was wondering if I should purchase the other routes on the website
    If you like what you see with the basic package, the add on routes and additional rolling stock are superbly modeled, especially Los Angeles. Despite owning everything and spending an average of 1-2 hours a day on Run8, there is enough to keep me busy on SoCal territories for years without touching the Florida or New York routes. If you like what you see, I would encourage you to buy all the rolling stock you can afford, then add in this order Bakersfield Sub, Arvin/Oak Creek Branch, Lone Pine Branch/Trona RR, Cajon, San Bernardino Sub (LA), finally Seligman. Everything will work just fine with the upcoming Version 3, probably better, according to recent info from the dev's.

Also, be aware of those around here who don't use and/or don't like Run8 who feel the need to flood these threads with Run8 advice. The Depot or other Run8 exclusive sites are the best sources for good info on the sim.

Thank you Brad, Sean for your input. I’m getting slowly accustomed to starting and moving a train. Once I get better at the overall controls, I will definitely jump into those servers you mentioned. Also can’t wait to see how Run 8 v3 will look. One random question, is there any way to clear all the signals at once without having to manually click each one? The only other idea I had was to clear all signals and then save the world. Also, if one AI train passes a green with another behind it, will the red switch to green or I need to manually clear? Again thank you guys for helping through the process

If a route is lined by clicking signals to yellow, they will drop to red once the train passes. If it is lined with green, the route will be in 'fleet' mode and will not drop. There is no way to automatically clear all signals if they are 'fleeted' (green).

There is an excellent, free External Dispatcher program available for download at The Depot. It can even run on a second computer, such as a laptop, even if Run8 isn't installed on that computer. With it, you can create a long path by clicking a begin and end point, and External Dispatcher will set all signals and switches automatically (fleet or drop).

The good thing is this isn't the Depot where critical posts of Run8 are removed

As far as someone who hasn't used Run8 in the year nothing has changed since I left so my "flooded assistance" is valid. Looks like he was thankful for both of our inputs Depot Salesman. I honestly think being a senior member as well the op can find the information he is looking for with plenty of advice from all sources, not just one. Just because I'm not using Run8 doesn't mean I don't recommend it to others, because I certainly do. Best train sim on the planet, snide remarks from the community doesn't change that.

Thanks

Sean

For the record https://rts.freeforums.net/thread/5/...mulator-planet
    posted by yours truly on my forum June 28th.

So if we can stick with the facts to help someone, I'll leave the drama on my forum and youtube. After all who listens to my opinions right?

Thanks

Sean

Lets stick to what the thread starter was asking and that will keep this thread open or it will be closed and yes drama not really welcome
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Brad3816 View Post
    ......the add on routes and additional rolling stock are superbly modeled, especially Los Angeles. Despite owning everything and spending an average of 1-2 hours a day on Run8, there is enough to keep me busy on SoCal territories for years without touching the Florida or New York routes. ....
    I'll second that comment.
    I have all the western region stuff and also the Florida route but never use the latter......California is enough to keep me permanently occupied.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0