Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS in a digital version?

Default MSTS in a digital version?

Hi all.

I am just asking.
    Is MSTS available in a digital copy?
    I have lost my discs and would like to re install it.

Cheers.

Are you after the MSTS executable, or are you after the content?

If you are after the content, it will be in your backup.
    Cheers
    Derek

I'm looking for the entire game.
    As I said. I lost my cd and wanted to install it. As open rails is too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by macey View Post
    I'm looking for the entire game.
    As I said. I lost my cd and wanted to install it. As open rails is too much trouble.
    May I ask how Open Rails is “too much trouble”? I jumped back into MSTS a year ago after about 7 years or so away. I installed MSTS on Win10 and then went cold turkey with Open Rails with great success. No way I would go back to using MSTS without Open Rails now.

If you're based in UK or USA there are quite a few copies of MSTS available on Ebay.
    Dell Desktop. Intel i5 3.3 CPU. 8GB RAM. Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB graphics. Windows Pro 64bit. RailDriver. Partridge in a pear tree...

i got open rails and it's a lot better.

If you want the 20 year old software that may or may not behave with Windows 10 and the retirement of DirectX, you'll need to buy it on eBay. There is no legal digital download.

Given how few PCs have optical drives anymore, you might need to buy a CDROM drive as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdark34 View Post
    i got open rails and it's a lot better.
    Open Rails is definitely better. However, if you want to run a route that has an installme.bat file you will need MSTS for the default scenery shapes.

Fred

Once you've gotten a hold of a used copy of MSTS, copy the contents of them into a single folder (There are a couple of duplicate files that can be safely overwritten during the copy) and then save that folder as a ZIP compressed folder. Save several copies of the ZIP file in different places, on different dives, just to be safe.

With that done, you have two options -- You can unzip a copy and run the installer for a complete MSTS install from that single folder, no discs needed. Or you can copy out the complete ROUTES, TRAINS, SOUND, and GLOBAL folders and drop them in a folder named "Train Simulator" for Open Rails to find and use when MSTS assets are required. (Also, drop a blank text file in there and rename it "train.exe" and you'll have what you need to satisfy some installers that go looking for your MSTS install.)

Once you've made your own digital backups, you can put your discs aside and keep them safe... Or do what I do -- use the case as a shelf decoration...

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Not every simulator is for everybody, we understand that.

But it is also important that everyone understands most people willing to assist here tend to back off when their contributions are seen as 'needlessly perishable'. The people willingly providing the assistance should not be seen as anyone's ticket to a cure for boredom. We are here to help interested parties who make the effort to stick to some type of simming protocol, whatever that may be. When intermittent users come and go, building up and ultimately mass-deleting simulator installations on hard drives without doing the least bit of simple preservation and storage activities, they are seen as not really helping themselves re-engage whenever the time comes. We are here for much more than assisting people in redesigning the wheel from scratch every time they get bored with whatever they were doing in between simming episodes.