Thread: OR & Polygon limits.

Default OR & Polygon limits.

I know the original stock MSTS had a polygon limit, but I'm wondering if Open Rails have the same limit, or can it accept higher res. models?
    Sean Summer
    CEO of Blue Ridge Mountains Machine works.

I've yet to find an upper a limit, and I have built several scenery objects well over 12,000 polys....

As a test, I created a loco with 330,000 triangles. OR loaded 2 of these locomotives at the head of a train and ran with no problems.

I did not skimp on details for my recent Tank Car upload, I don't see why I need to adhere to MSTS limitations if ORTS isn't making me do so.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    https://github.com/pwillard/MSTS-replacement

Well, I know TSRE5 can get a bit glitchy with high quality textures, (example: 2048 textures) but I haven't heard of a railcar limit yet. It would appear that its kinda just based on what your computer can handle.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - initially MSTS would start throwing artifacts on models around 10,000 or 11,000 polys. I never really noticed if BIN improved that - as I was an early adopter of ORTS.

Derek Millers steam locomotives exceed 70,000 or 80,000 without issue - with long trains - on detailed routes - with multiple locomotives.

Multiple 2048 textures on steam locomotives are now the norm for me - without issue - I use 1024 on freight cars.

As someone who's tested ORTS performance extensively - the biggest frame savers are using model LOD's (especially on freight cars) (yes you can make the transitions seamless) and minimizing Draw Calls. It's better to use a single larger texture in place of many smaller textures.

Regards,
    Scott