Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Registration Server Issues

Default Registration Server Issues

Dale it sounds like you and I have the same issue. I never uninstalled Run8V2 it's still on my computer on the same drive etc. I assume there is an issue with the registration server

I was able to join a server when I first opened up Run8 again but I know there is some kind of time limit. What got my attention was when I made sure external dispatcher was enabled for my testing I noticed the red dot. In the past I think I've seen it flash red for a second (I could be wrong at it's been over 1.5 years apparently time flies).

I have the original registration code when I purchased this as I have all my old emails. I know I made a backup at one point so I'll make sure I didn't try to run it. But I beleive it was the genuine version.

No biggie on my end. But I thought I'd create this thread if anyone hears anything or has some news. I'm not going to bother the guys at Run8 as I know they are busy with other loyal customers, and coding away at version 3. I don't want to disturb their progress I just had an idea and to be honest I don't think it was going to work without lots of effort and guessing on my end anyways.

Thanks

Sean

Unfortunately all my emails got washed away in the great Windows (supposedly "light") Restore a few weeks ago.
    Hopefully I've got the code(s) safe somewhere but this is where 3DTS E-Commerce system falls down a bit.
    Game should really be on Steam.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Game should really be on Steam.
    Prefer not Vern, in fact i prefer none of my games were on Steam, buddy.
    Yma O Hyd

How do you lose email in a Windows upgrade?.. are you still using POP3 and downloading/uploading to a third party email client like Thunderbird?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

The Windows Upgrade failed and I was prompted to do a Windows “reset”. I chose the light option which is supposed to leave your installed apps alone but it didn’t. That took out Live Mail along with a host of other programs including Steam, which all had to be reinstalled. In the process it also managed to delete the email history from wherever it is Live Mail stores them.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The Windows Upgrade failed and I was prompted to do a Windows “reset”. I chose the light option which is supposed to leave your installed apps alone but it didn’t. That took out Live Mail along with a host of other programs including Steam, which all had to be reinstalled. In the process it also managed to delete the email history from wherever it is Live Mail stores them.
    Yeah, not surprised it FUBARED you. For what it's worth, the whole Windows 10 update/upgrade stuff I just don't trust at all. It's like DTG doing a update on something. Fix 1 item and break a dozen other items to the point none work. On the computer I had before this one, a Windows 10 update disabled my 3DC to the point of not even being able to load. Steam kept crashing, RW kept crashing if Steam loaded, and some apps/docs got completely deleted. This what a Windows 10 update can potentially do to your computer. Now this is not true on all systems. Some users experience no issues with an update. In my case I had to download 3 apps but I was able to get rid of all the Windows 10 updates and completely shutout Microsoft from doing ANY updates even thru various backdoors it tends to use. With Windows 10 you can longer just disable the updates. It's forced down your throat weather you want the update or not. Long story short after installing the apps and removing the updates, several files and docs were restored and my 3DC worked again. To all having similar issues with these updates: let me know if you like to know what apps I downloaded. I'll provide the links for them either here if allowed or I can PM them. I installed the same 3 apps when I got this computer. The end result is both computers run much better and I'm none the worse for wear ditching the updates.

Initially I had considered just leaving the update issue to stagnate but anxiety over missing a possible security patch got the better of me.

Relating this back to Run 8 and their registration servers, it does reinforce the importance of backing up vital information if it's not supplied in a retrievable format. Hopefully the OP situation has now resolved itself but it does also pose the question of what would happen should 3DTS go belly up and the server was no longer funded. With all but one of the western routes acquired and a good selection of rolling stock, that's actually a considerable value of digital content to suddenly find no longer working.
    Vern.

I guess we would be SOL. I haven't bothered to check again. It appears V2 will not be getting any new regions or upgrades so perhaps it's time to free up some disk space, or get it over to thumbdrive at the very least.

Thanks

Sean

Again I really haven't bothered. But to comment on your concerns they are very valid. I believe this is well out of warranty or support a very long time ago. Keep this in mind, a company can choose who they want to sell to. Makes you wonder if they can also prevent further use.

I'm not saying this is the case, but I've certainly been critical for Run8 when it's warranted. Not a big deal either way, got my money's worth a long time ago.

Thanks

Sean

If you have a concern, why not just contact Brad or John directly at Run 8 Studios?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0