Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freelance Using DEM

Default Freelance Using DEM

Spoke on this and other things I'm working on. I'm switching focus of RTS back to Trainz for now and developing a freelance route using DEM. Haven't got much replies here or even on Trainz forums of any random way to generate DEM so I'm going to just pick something and go.

RTS yard management and generation software (something more within my current skillset and easily achieveable) will be the backbone of the operations.

As much as I wanted to do Niagara in the past I think this is the best approach as I have the freedom to have fun, but try and create a realistic operation in the process.

Thanks

Sean

You would be best to use Transdem which is still really the only means of getting DEM based routes into Trainz.
    Vern.

I have Transdem. Just wondering if there is something random. I'll probably pick a random location, bring it in via Transdem, and throw some track down.

Thanks

Sean

I have done that Sean though it never ended up as a finished route. I looked at Northern Russia, Norway and even Iceland where some of the extreme roads are. Selected the area of interest, overlapped the maps, traced an optimal line for the route then extracted it. The beauty of freelancing like that, is absolutely no one can come and rivet count, it’s your world to do with as you will.
    Vern.

TBH I forgot how to use it properly. I might just continue on with my prototype attempt and not worry about what other people or my brain thinks. Trying to get things perfect and worry about getting right that others have no idea is an issue to begin with is a serious habit I need to break.

Thanks

Sean

Thumbs up

I never worry about rivet counters! All my Trainz UTC projects in Paint Shed or Surveyor are 100 percent Freelanced! Created in my own noggin!

Christopher Tarana
    Attached Files Attached Files

Personally I'm starting to lose my interest in all train sims. PC's aren't as popular any more and trains is not exactly a big sector of the gaming industry. Been doing lots of ATS as of late. Funny I was looking at sailing sims and there seems to be a huge gap in that market as well.

Thanks

Sean

There are a couple of sailing sims on Steam - I believe Sailaway is the best of them but pricey. I bought eSail Sailing Simulator as a bit more accessible but looking at my Steam time haven't even wracked up an hour on it...

I miss the good old days of Silent Hunter, actually!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    .........I believe Sailaway is the best of them but pricey. I bought eSail Sailing Simulator as a bit more accessible .....
    I bought Sailaway a couple of years ago, Vern.
    Having sailed (raced) for real back through the 1970s and into the 1980s, I thought it might be fun to see what "computer sailing" had to offer, but was disappointed in several aspects of the sim.
    The physics and the controls are not good and really need improvement....although it seems that development has stopped and the devs aren't responding to requests to update the sim.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Have you checked out Virtual Sailor?

Christopher Tarana