Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BNSF - Feather River - Inside Gateway - Railfan Dan

No, it dose not exist.
    The thing you are talking about existing is a small portion of Gateways sub that goes from Keddie to Almanor. It covers around 30miles of south portion of the sub. The complete route is around 202miles from Keddie to Klamath Falls.

Again: Someone should make this route for OR

a bit info about the sub that anyone can find:

BNSF Gateway Sub Timetable : http://www.railroadradio.net/content/view/60/51
    Last edited by gammaray84; 07-26-2021 at 06:19 AM. Reason: spellings

You need to have a good look at the feather river canyon.
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by gammaray84 View Post
    No, it dose not exist.
    The thing you are talking about existing is a small portion of Gateways sub that goes from Keddie to Almanor. It covers around 30miles of south portion of the sub. The complete route is around 202miles from Keddie to Klamath Falls.

Again: Someone should make this route for OR

a bit info about the sub that anyone can find:

BNSF Gateway Sub Timetable : http://www.railroadradio.net/content/view/60/51
    Yep, the Feather River WP3 Route which encompasses the outer gateway, stops the inner gateway at Lake Almanor...too bad, but the rest of the route is a GEM!...No Mistaking that...one of the premier payware routes, still holds its own compared with the payware routes being created for OR today...worth the purchase.

Going the distance to Klamath Falls would be a welcome route. I don't know if there would be any opportunities for industry switching...would that depend upon the era?
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Oh, that one?

Yeah....I bought it when initially released and still think it's the best payware route ever created for MSTS.
    But as someone else said, it covers only part of what Dan has videoed, which goes all the way to Klamath Falls.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by gammaray84 View Post
    No, it dose not exist.
    I got very excited as it looked just like the other Feather river canyon route.
    Cheers
    Derek

Wow. Wow. Wow!!! What a picturesque scenery this is. Man, sitting in the seats of the engineer and conductor, that's your work desk for the day. I have this train sim route. I really appreciate the eye candy from the route, but it has nothing on the real thing. Excellent drone coverage! Very nice indeed. I'm sure I will enjoy the UP version of this as well.

As a drone pilot this is amazing. I only have a DJI Mavic Mini but that gives me some inspiration to try to get a fraction of that beauty. Unfortunately the trains around here go pretty quick in comparison.

Thanks

Sean

Amazing work. Thanks for posting this

I'd love to read or watch an account of how he did the filming. If there were two drones, were they both in the air at the same time, with an assistant monitoring the other, or was it one at a time? How were battery changes and charging worked out? Not knowing how the roads run in the area, how much planning had to go into setting up locations to park while filming and then get to the next filming location safely?

Looks to have required quite a bit of planning and careful execution.

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    I'd love to read or watch an account of how he did the filming. .......
    He does it solo, Eric, using a single professional drone (DJI Inspire) in conjunction with a DJI version of the "Go-Pro" camera for ground shots.
    Dan also carries a number of batteries and has the ability to charge backups on the go.

Prior to a field trip he plans the route he will take and where he can stop and do the aerial filming and this is worked out in conjunction with the information he has on the train's timetable and also the weather forecast.
    Each trip is well-planned ahead of time.
    Then there's the editing work, which takes a heap of time as well.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0