Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BNSF - Feather River - Inside Gateway - Railfan Dan

There are gravel and dirt roads, and some paved county roads that the locals use. ( roads, in my memory -- having hiked and traveled the canyon many years ago - 70's to the early 90's .. no not the 1870s you jokers -- were marginally maintained ).

There are two main state routes -- 70 & 89 --- SR70 from Oroville that splits off at Spanish Creek ( or there abouts ) with SR89 going up to Almanor, and 70/89 continuing up northeast where they split...going to Blairsden and Portola, eventually.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

Having the lower speed limits is a big help. This actually inspired me to do something similar but I was at Toronto Mac Yard this weekend. Of course I would of been lazy and not bother editing which defeats the purpose. Maybee one day I'll give a try since I have a 15 MPH limit and 10K foot trains at the junction in Niagara Falls. It helps to have the train turn about 135 degrees.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    He does it solo, Eric, using a single professional drone (DJI Inspire) in conjunction with a DJI version of the "Go-Pro" camera for ground shots.
    Dan also carries a number of batteries and has the ability to charge backups on the go.

Prior to a field trip he plans the route he will take and where he can stop and do the aerial filming and this is worked out in conjunction with the information he has on the train's timetable and also the weather forecast.
    Each trip is well-planned ahead of time.
    Then there's the editing work, which takes a heap of time as well.
    Bruce , Dan is a pretty level headed guy as years ago a bunch of us got together in the Gorge to grab photos. He has some amazing drone work and each one is better than the other and he is getting way better from his first to now at not getting his car in it.
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by westerngy View Post
    .....He has some amazing drone work and each one is better than the other and he is getting way better from his first to now at not getting his car in it.
    I think his work is outstanding - certainly amongst the best I've seen captured with a drone.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0