Thread: Blue Comet Lines extension models

Default Blue Comet Lines extension models

For my Blue Comet Lines extension Microsoft Train Simulator and Open Rails route, I've been using Sketchup to make structures for things I needed, such as steps, and to represent distinctive stations. They are simplified, mostly low-polygon models. For example, the stairway railings, most of the windows and doors, and some of the roofs are 2D. The platform canopies are generally shorter than the real thing, with fewer, simplified support poles. I needed to keep the models simple to remain within the limits of my computers. I also figure that during activities, the structures help to give a sense of place and are not something to gaze at for long.

I made a web page with pictures of them: http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/bc_ext_model_pix.html.

Are they worth uploading to the TrainSim.com file library? Some of them look pretty good to me, and others seem a bit crude. I'm not fishing for compliments. I'm concerned that some people might be disappointed with the quality.

One idea I had is to upload the Sketchup file with each model or set of models, and people will be welcome to modify or improve them and upload better versions if they care to do that.

The only restriction would be to credit the Sketchup textures and a few third-party textures I used, and I would list these in the Readme files.

Comments?
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

I say upload them. If people don't like the quality, they don't have to use them

Wow, Steve, those look great! You did a good job on these, you should be proud. They would certainly fill some gaps and replace older, simpler structures on other routes.
    I say as well "Upload Them!"

I'd love to use some of it, if you don't mind me retexturing it.

Randy

These look really nice, Steve. These look right at home on the CNJ portion of the PRR-ER route. I'd say upload them.
    "After you’ve done a thing the same way for two years, look it over carefully. After five years, look at it with suspicion. And after ten years, throw it away and start all over." - Alfred E. Perlman

OK, I will work on making upload packages. Retexturing or any other modifications will be fine with me. The Sketchup and third-party textures I used look good, I think. My own textures are simple, and I tried making a stained copper roof for Fanwood and it looked awful. So, yes, any changes will be fine, and if anybody improves a model, go ahead and upload them to the file library.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com