Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TGATool2A Can't create 3d object

Default TGATool2A Can't create 3d object

Sorry if this has already been addressed, I tried searching several different ways and the wonderful search function here says I'm asking too much.

I've got TGATool2A installed on 2 Windows 10 computers, and they work fine except for trying to create a texture with an alpha channel. I get an error stating that it can't create a 3D object.

Has anyone found a solution for this on a Windows 10 machine? I've got DirectX12 installed, Nvidia GeForce GT 710 video card in my PC. Other computer is an Alienware laptop with an Nvidia video chipset (don't have the exact model available right now), Directx12 installed there too.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

I've got it working on my Alienware aftet having similar issues, and I don't know how it got resolved...

It works fine on a true directory path, but won't if I execute or save on an aliased path.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Got a little closer; I was using AceIt as the conversion program, got to looking through the HELP file and found all it mentioned was MakeAce. So I switched to MakeAce, and although I don't get the "can't create 3D object" error any more, and it appears to work, I don't have the converted file in the specified location. After the conversion, there is no saved file in the specified location. A search of the drive for the saved file reveals no file with that filename.

Are you using MakeAce or AceIt?

Also, I'm unclear as to your reference about an aliased path. Can you please clarify?

Thanks,
    Jeff

I'll have to check which app I'm using... I think it is MakeAce.

I have a physical E drive that all my tools are on, and I've aliased e:/something/anotherthing/yetsomethingelse/Textures as drive W:

I can't open w:/jellydonut.ace but I can open e:/something/anotherthing/yetsomethingelse/Textures/Jellydonut.ace

Same with exporting to that shorter path. TgaTool wants the full path.

What version of TGATool are you using? I've got 4.00.34. When saving the .ace file I get a selection window, select the target folder, and type in the filename. No option for entering a written path, except in the filename box. When I enter a written path (D:\something\Textures\Aces), it just takes me to that folder in the selection window.

A little research on the internet shows that there might be other versions out there, but so far I haven't found a working link to download any. Still looking.

Also, I've noticed that after saving the file as mentioned in yesterday's post, Windows shows the file in the "recent files" section of File Explorer including its path and time of creation, although the file does not actually exist.

Tried using MakeAceWIN today, that didn't work at all; just locked up TGATool.
    Jeff

The way TGATool2A works is,
    You send the texture to the Editor under the Image tab.
    send.JPG
    When you're done editing you have to save and close the editor for TGA to reload the image.
    I use Paint dot Net and I have to close the image, just saving it does nothing. It's kind of like TGA is waiting for the editor to release the image.
    It's just a pain because you have to reload whatever you're working on.
    I like to do small incremental saves so I use AceIt. It's quick and will do alphas, and I can keep the image open.
    aceit.JPG

Hi Jeff

My method for creating texture (ace) files from any graphic file:

I have a shortcut on my desktop. The path in the shortcut is:
    "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\UTILS\AceIt\aceit.exe"

Your pathing may be different but in any event, create a shortcut on desktop to aceit.exe wherever is resides.

Drag/Drop any graphic file to the AceIt shortcut and an *.ace file will be created on your desktop.
    No need to use TgaTool2 at all.

Windows 10 Pro w/all latest updates.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Yes Vince, that's exactly how I do standard .ace files. But my problem lies with making .ace files with an alpha channel. TGATool lets me adjust the alpha channel to do exactly what I want (using PaintShopPro to make the adjustments to the alpha layer). I've used this combination many times with Windows 7, my problem lies with doing the same process with Windows 10. After the "upgrade" to Windows 10 it no longer works as before (see original post).
    Jeff

Post Create ACE Using Desktop Shortcut

Quote Originally Posted by jefffarq View Post
    Yes Vince, that's exactly how I do standard .ace files. But my problem lies with making .ace files with an alpha channel. TGATool lets me adjust the alpha channel to do exactly what I want (using PaintShopPro to make the adjustments to the alpha layer). I've used this combination many times with Windows 7, my problem lies with doing the same process with Windows 10. After the "upgrade" to Windows 10 it no longer works as before (see original post).
    Hi Jeff,

Yes using TgaTool2 is what I use to do exactly as you do for adjusting the Alpha layer.
    But after the adjustments I export to a TGA file, saving it to my desktop.

Then I Drag/Drop the TGA file to the AceIt shortcut and I have my ace file where it's been saved to my desktop.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Ah, I didn't understand your entire procedure at first.

However, after giving your procedure a try (loaded texture in TGATOOL, created alpha channel, sent to editor for changes, reloaded data), I find that I can't export to a TGA file. Only options are .bmp, and several version of ACE.

Screenshot.jpg

Am I just misunderstanding something else here?

Thanks,
    Jeff